Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Saw the GI doctor yesterday. He thinks its related to stress,

Saw the GI doctor yesterday. He thinks it's related to stress, and was hesitant about scheduling a colonoscopy because I don't have blood in my stool and it's only been a little over two weeks with these symptoms. But he said if it would put my mind at ease, he'd do it. So I scheduled one for Monday afternoon. Do you think this is necessary? Or am I basically wasting my time and money? I think my GI doc thinks the latter.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Hi--stress alone and no real GI condition?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Remember? I've been having the loose stools for 2+ weeks and worried about colon cancer? 25 year old Female. You wanted me to keep you updated.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
No, of course I remember you but are you saying the GI doctor thought all that was just related to stress alone?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes. He said it hasn't been long enough to diagnose me with IBS (says it needs to be going on for at least 3 months), and he also reassured me that it's highly unlikely that this is colon cancer.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
So did that statement qualm your fears about cancer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

A little bit, not totally. I'm still worried about the results. Could this all be stress? Also, I have a HIDA scan scheduled for Tuesday, will these tests interfere with each other? For some reason, when I scheduled the HIDA scan, the scheduler told me that I can't have any other types of testing 2 days before or two days after.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
No, colonoscopy won't interfere with the HIDA scan or vice versa. I agree that for this to truly be IBS you'll need to have these symptoms go on for a few weeks more and colonoscopy won't diagnose IBS. I personally see no real medical necessity for the colonoscopy but I do agree that it will put your mind at rest. If you're under a fair amount of stress that could be the only cause here but I think more is going on than just that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What "more" do you think is going on? You're making me nervous now!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Take a deep breath--you really do worry too much about this. I mean I still think this is from your gall bladder
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I definitely worry too much. Ok, praying this is just from my gallbladder. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how things go.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
I'll hold you to that--we're connected now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Had the colonoscopy yesterday - GI doc didn't find anything, but took 2 biopsies to check for microscopic colitis. Had a HIDA scan done this morning, should know the results within a few days. Side question: The back of my neck is really tender in one spot. It doesn't feel swollen, but could this be a lymph node? I don't have any head/chest cold symptoms, no mouth or oral symptoms either. 2 weeks ago my CBC was normal, and as you can tell, I'm an anxious person. What are the chances that this could be the first sign of lymphoma?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
Hi--where exactly is the spot and is there a lump there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The spot is on the back of my neck, towards the left, below the hair line. It seems swollen today, and the area of skin is red and very tender.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
OK--not a lymph node then. Sounds as though you may have had a small sebaceous cyst there that now is becoming infected. You can try applying moist heat to the area but if it stays that way for more than a few more days you need to have it looked at since you might need antibiotics. But this has absolutely nothing to do with lymphoma
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It's not a raised spot like a pimple, it's more like swelling of my neck just below the hair line. The redness on my neck is about 2 inches across, and again, neck is very tender.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
The cyst may be a bit deep or this could simply be cellulitis--skin infection. Either way it's not very serious but if it doesn't ease up in another two days have a doctor take a look
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)