Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

scheduled to have warthins tumor removed in 2 weeks. what

scheduled to have warthins tumor removed in 2 weeks. what can I expect for recovery within first week....pain, face function.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, in most cases , the patient recovers extremely fast and the pain goes away after one week . During that time, doctors usually prescribe some narcotics to manage the pain.

It usually takes 1-2 weeks to recover. The drain is removed after 3 days and the sutures one week after . You will able to eat normally after the surgery ,but you will need to avoid exercising the first 2 weeks.

There are some risks with this type of surgery , you could experience some ear numbness and it could take 9 months to recover the normal skin sensation in that area. Other risks are bleeding ,hematomas ,infections,facial paralysis , Frey's syndrome ( in this condition,the patient sweats when he/she eats), a mild sunken skin appearance specially if the tumor is extremely big and /or fistulas ( between the remaining salivary gland and the skin , collecting saliva at the incision site underneath the skin ). 20 % of patients could experience temporary facial muscles weakness or numbness . In most cases , these symptoms go away in 2-3 months ,but it could take until 1 year to fully recover .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.