Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

I was referred to get a ct scan, but after reading the dangers

Customer Question

I was referred to get a ct scan, but after reading the dangers of radiaation exposure I am hesitant. I have some kidney area discomfort especially on left side, and exhaustion. However, it is difficult for me to tell what is stress/hypochondriac because I have both severely and what isn't. Urine and x ray of abdomine came back fine, but blood work showed white blood cells at 12500- should I get the ct based on this info?
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 9 months ago.

Charogat :

Charogat :

Your white blood cell count is elevated, and there is pain in the area of your kidney. It is important to make sure there is no infection in the location.

Charogat :

If you are not having frequent CT scans, then, while the level is higher than an x-ray (did your doctor discuss whether this was appropriate?) it is still not a terribly huge amount of radiation.

Charogat :

If you were my relative I would encourage you to go for the scan.

Charogat :

Having said that, being that we are online and I don't have the luxury of examining you and talking to you more at length, I can not make a diagnosis or tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I am just providing information, not advice.

Charogat :

I hope you get your answer and feel much better very soon.

Charogat :

G-d Bless

Charogat :

PS I am not online all the time it says that I am. I will try to keep an eye out for any responses from you.

Customer:

what about the fact I'd be combining an xray (already complete and nothing odd) with a ct scan?

Customer:

is that normal?

Customer:

also the discomfort is tenderness some ache in kidney, but also a little in front abdomen area..again no abnormalities in x ray or urine, I guess I will probably still do it, but just wanted to check

Charogat :

Very often CT is only done after an x-ray. So the fact that you'd be having both isn't a big issue. Also, the amount of radiation in a couple of x-rays is extremely low. It isn't concerning to both.

Charogat :

Kidneys are pretty high in your back. What kind of discomfort/tenderness and on what side are you having the pain?

Charogat :

Have you had any prior surgeries or evaluations?

Charogat :

(I still do think that I would tell a family member to go for the CT had they given me the same information you have.)

Customer:

Thank you for your help, if you don't mind responding to this one last update I'd appreciate it (you will have a good review no matter, very helpful). Anyways, this test was done Monday. Initially discomfort was both side of kidney area and fatigue. Then I thought I felt a palpation on my mid lift abdomin sunday, googled it, and scared it was aortic abdomominal aneurysm and went to do.Since then, notice the discomfort mostly on left side (could be in my head...I have panic disorder). Also, I have been tired, but could be stress work. I just read stress and exercise right before a blood test can also raise wbc..is this true? I worked out pretty intensely for 30 minutes about 1 an a half hours prior to the blood test and have been extremely stressed. Think I will go get another blood test first and then the ct if still high. Again, one last response to this update would be appreciated and again thanks for all your help!

Charogat :

I'm sorry I was off the computer when you came back with this continuation.

Charogat :

First, AAA (aortic abdominal aneurysm) is not something that is typically felt (until it gets quite large).

Charogat :

The palpitation feeling could have easily be a muscle twitching

Charogat :

Vigorous exercise can cause "demarginalization of the white blood cells". What this means is that the WBCs are already there, but they leave the area of the blood vessel wall that they are attached to and float loosely in the blood. When a blood test is run DIRECTLY after this (ie within a few minutes after) then there is a possibility of getting a false high WBC count. By an hour and a half after the intense exercise the WBCs would have returned to their prior area.

Charogat :

Thank you for telling me you will give me a positive rating. That is appreciated (and the only way I get paid).

Charogat :

Meanwhile, if there are any other follow-up questions, those are always free.

Charogat :

Unfortunately I will likely be away from my computer until tomorrow night. I will make a big effort to get on at some time today to see if you have any further questions.

Charogat :

G-d Bless

Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Expert:  Charogat replied 9 months ago.
I just wanted to check in with you if you've had the tests done yet, and also just to see how you are feeling.
Thanks for your payment and thanks for the bonus.
Please realize that continuing this conversation is free of charge.

G-d Bless