Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My 17 year old daughter has been having pain in her upper stomach.

My 17 year old daughter has been having pain in her upper stomach. she says it is like a cramp and its been constant for 7 days. I have tried tums, rolaids, pepto and zantac. She has not gotten any relief. It kept her up all night. She has not been on any medication this year. She has started a vegetarian diet for the last 3 weeks. It is not made worse or better with food. Her bowels are more frequent since she has been eating only vegetables.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's discomfort.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Does she has pain above umbilicus? Is it localized or radiating to back or lower parts?
For how long she has such pain?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will she rate the pain?
Associated nausea, fever, or vomiting?
Any past significant medical issue?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello. She said she feels like she is getting sick - like a cold. she said it is up at the very top of her stomach under in the middle. The cramping feeling is only in her stomach at the top but she is sore around the back a little. she has been having the pain for 5 days but it has been constant for about 3 days. At times it is about a 7. No vomiting a little nausea when the pain is bad. No actual fever but she says again she feels like she is getting sick. She is very tired lately

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

This should not be left ignored and have to be checked by a doctor immediately.

It could be indicative of Appendicitis. It may start with dull pain near the navel or the upper abdomen. Associated nausea( even though it is little), feeling of fatigue is also pointing towards Appendicitis.

The cause of appendicitis isn't always clear. It can occur due to infection or obstruction in the appendix.
If left untreated it can rupture and can cause serious complications.

Other possible reasons are- Gastritis, Peptic ulcer.

To make a diagnose, she need to have-
-Blood tests,
-Urine test,
-Ultrasound of whole abdomen.
A physical examination should be done by doctor.

This should not be left ignored.
I advise that you should not delay and rush her to ER ASAP for prompt treatment.
Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.