Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

my doc just switched my lexapro to lithium and its leaving

Customer Question

my doc just switched my lexapro to lithium and it's leaving me on my abilify. I read that lithium lowers manic episodes. Will this bring me up or pull me down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 11 months ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Mania (or a manic episode) is a mood disorder in which a person tends to be hyperactive and wildly optimistic.

Norepinephrine is a neurotransmitter that increases arousal and boosts mood.To control mania drugs must reduce norepinephrine & lithium exactly do the same thing.

Lithium has traditionally been the first line of treatment for mania.

Lithium evens out mood swings in both directions – from mania to depression, and depression to mania – so it is used not just for manic attacks or flare-ups of the illness.

So have right read that lithium reduces/lowers the manic episodes & is drug of choice to treat mania.It will help you greatly.Take the medication as prescribed.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm currently ( until tomorrow) on 5mg of Abilify and 20mg of Lexapro. I've recently become overwhelmed with depression. my doctor ( saw him for the first time in 2 years) wants to up the abilify to 7.5mg and put me on 300 mg of lithium. I'm wondering if this sounds like a good choice or if he's jumping the gun?

Dear Denise,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Aripiprazole(abilify) is known as an anti psychotic drug (atypical type).It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals in the brain (neurotransmitters).

The recommended starting and target dose for Abilify is 10 mg/day or 15 mg/day administered on a once-a-day schedule as adjunctive therapy with lithium.

Abilify & lithium is a very good adjunctive (combined treatment) to treat the manic disorder.

So I advice you to take the both medications-abilify & lithium as prescribed.It will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 10 months ago.
Hi Denise
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Are you taking both the medications?
How is your mania episodes now?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm doing well so far. I've slept two nights in a row, so I'm pleased.