Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

I had a stent put in a artery of my leg. Three months later

I had a stent put in a artery of my leg. Three months later it plugged up again. I had it fixed and a new larger stent was put in. My leg still feels the same and the Dr says I have to have another surgery to clean out some more arteries. Why couldn't they all have been done at the same time. He says he is trying to avoid bypass surgery. What is your opinion. Thanks Fran
Hi
I was following your questions.
Well, usually the stent works, but they do have a restenosis rate (meaning that they get plugged up). So then you needed another stent- which you did have.
Vascular surgery is difficult. You could get a bypass, but then this will remove one of your major veins and can cause chronic edema. Usually they hope that the inital procedure works and go from there. To restent you and to clean out peripheral arteries woudl commit you to a much longer and potentially dangerous surgery. Honestly at this point, it soudns like you need a bypass, however. You still have pain and you have already had 2 procedures.

i would get a second consultation with another vascular surgeon before I proceeded.
You also don't want to keep having operations.

I hope that this helped.

please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Hi
I was following up to see how you were doing.