Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I was told that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. In checking

I was told that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. In checking into vitamin D, I see there is D 2, and D 3. When the Dr. tells you that you are deficient which is it? And does it matter which supplement I use? On a related note. What can cause it. For I do go into the sun enough from what I have read??

Thank you for your time and answers.

Michael
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 9 months ago.

25 - Hydroxy Vitamin D is the most common test ordered by doctors.

There are two different forms of vitamin D, named D3 and D2,which are very similar in structure.
Vitamin D2: obtained from vegetable sources (dietary sources, supplements);
Vitamin D3: derived from both endogenous (synthesized from cholesterol through sun exposure) and exogenous (animal diet) sources.

In the liver, the vitamin is hydroxylated to 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)-vitamin D),the major circulating metabolite of vitamin D.

The concentration of 25(OH)-vitamin D decreases with age and a deficiency is common among elderly persons.

So the usual test prescribed by doctors include Total 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OH-VitD) level (the sum of 25-OH-vitamin D2 and 25-OH-vitamin D3).

So your doctor can prescribe tablets,sachets or injections for the same.(Vitamin D3)

I hope this helps
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.
Hello Michael

The main reasons for low levels of vitamin D are:

1) Lack of vitamin D in the diet, often in conjunction with inadequate sun exposure; not consume enough vitamin D rich foods, and absorption may be limited.

2) Inability to absorb vitamin D from the intestines; celiac disease, Crohn's disease, and cystic fibrosis or surgery of the intestine.

3) Inability to process vitamin D due to kidney or liver disease

4) Medications - Some drugs such as Dilantin, phenobarbital, and rifampin may interfere the absorption of Vitamin D from the intestines.

The vitamin D dose is 800-1,000 IU per day.

The "ideal" dose of vitamin D is determined by testing the individual's 25OHD level. A normal level of vitamin D is defined as a 25OHD concentration greater than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L). In people whose 25OHD is 20 to 30 ng/mL (50 to 75 nmol/L), treatment advised is 800 to 1000 international units of vitamin D3 by mouth daily. In people whose 25OHD is less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L), treatment is 50,000 international units of vitamin D2 or D3 by mouth per week for six to eight weeks, and then 800 to 1000 international units of vitamin D3 daily thereafter.

Following measures would be helpful:

a) Balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D

b) Weight-bearing exercise (such as walking)

c) Healthy lifestyle with no smoking or excessive alcohol intake

d) Calcium and Vitamin D supplements.

The Vitamin D rich diet is;

1) Fortified dairy products,

2) Fish,

3) Oils,

4) Eggs

Sunlight (15 min/day for 3-4 days/wk) is good source by which our skin makes the vitamin D.

Calcium rich diet is;

1) Dairy products,

2) Fish with small bones,

3) Dark, leafy green vegetables (mustard greens, kale);

4) Corn tortillas,

5) Calcium-set tofu

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine