Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I am a 68 African American female years old with controlled

I am a 68 African American female years old with controlled hypertension. Many mornings when I wake up, my right hand fingers feel numb and and tingly. It is usually the right, but sometime the left. Not really in pain and it goes away by the time I get up and moving.Is this something related to high blood pressure or am I just sleeping on my hand.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, what you are experiencing is probably caused by nerve root compression ,which could happen when you adopt inadequate or inappropriate sleeping positions.

Try to sleep on your back not on your side. There is not a direct relationship between hypertension and hand or finger numbness .

Although in your case , I do not think this is serious . You should consult your doctor to rule out other more serious possibilities like :

1- Peripheral neuropathy ( a condition in which the peripheral nerve roots become swollen,inflamed or irritated ).

2- Vitamin B12 deficiency

3- Carpal tunnel syndrome ( in this condition , the median nerve becomes compressed by the presence of narrow carpal tunnel ( which is a small space located in your wrist ) ) or ulnar nerve compression.

4- Transient Ischemic attack ( in this condition, the brain blood flow becomes suddenly and momentarily interrupted) .This condition could get worse producing neurological complications or brain damage .It needs to be managed immediately.

Your doctor will perform a brain CT Scan or MRI to investigate this possibility.

So even when this is probably not serious , You need to contact your doctor to be 100 % there is not an underlying condition involved .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.