911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

if my daughter is taking alprazolam (Xanax), what kind of decongestant

if my daughter is taking alprazolam (Xanax), what kind of decongestant can she take for a bad cold?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 10 months ago.

911Doctor :

how old is she, how long has she been on xanax, and does she have any other medical problems?

911Doctor :

to respond place your cursor in the box below, type and click reply.

911Doctor :

the open space underneath this chat is where you can type your response

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

I do not see you typing or responding so I will attempt to answer

911Doctor :

as long as xanax is her only medicine there is really no reason why she can not take sudafed

911Doctor :

the two do different things, but there is no bad interaction between them

911Doctor :

mucinex is definitely okay

Customer:

she is 19, she has been on xanax for 6 days

911Doctor :

okay

Customer:

i wanted to double check becuase my doctor said she could not take anyting with a specific ingredient, but i did not write it down. all he said is just regula mucinex.

911Doctor :

may I ask what she is taking the xanax for and in what dose?

Customer:

however my daughter wants to take sudafed

Customer:

she has been having anxiety attacks, she is taking 2 pills a day

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

so first of all you both need to know that xanax can only be for a very short term treatment of the panic attacks

911Doctor :

taking two a day is okay for a VERY short period

911Doctor :

but it is highly habit forming

911Doctor :

and her doctor should be working with her to find a non addictive alternative

Customer:

is a week too long?

911Doctor :

and working with her to get her some counseling to help her deal with this on her own without the xanax

911Doctor :

a week is okay, but getting on to two weeks makes me nervous

Customer:

she did start counceling today

911Doctor :

the problem is that it works SO well

911Doctor :

and people hate giving it up

911Doctor :

and if they are on it for even a few weeks there will be withdrawal symptoms when she stops it

Customer:

ok, so with all that said, she can take sudafed. sudafed PE is ok, of just sudafed?

911Doctor :

she can take either

911Doctor :

though one of the side effects of sudafed can be some jiterriness/anxiety

911Doctor :

mucincex might be a better choice for that reason alone

Customer:

ok, that's what I wanted to hear. what is the ingredient that would make her jitery?

911Doctor :

sudafed is pseudoephedrine, this is similar to adrenaline.

Customer:

perfect. thank you

911Doctor :

no worries

911Doctor :

do you have anything further about this issue for me tonight?

Customer:

no that is it

911Doctor :

perfect

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician