Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

L5 - S1 4 mm posterior midline disc herniation of the extrusion

L5 - S1 4 mm posterior midline disc herniation of the extrusion type seen with disc extrusion extending in a caudad direction by 3 mm. There is mild to moderate arthopathy and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis and mild central canal stenosis as well as mild disc desiccation.
L4-5 there is moderate facet arthopathy and concentric disc bulge contributing to mild central canal stenosis and mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.

L3-4 a broad based 2 mm left foraminal and lateral disc herniation of the protrusion type is seen contributing to mild left foraminal stenosis.

what does this all mean ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 12 months ago.

Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr. Brims :

In a general laymans terms, there are herniated discs causing compression of the spinal cord and /or nerve roots in your lower spine

Customer:

what is done to correct it? I have sciatica that flares up and runs down my leg calf and thigh

Dr. Brims :

Do you have any weakness in your legs?

Customer:

yes my legs don't feel like they are mine weakness, tingelling

Dr. Brims :

Okay, then you should see a spine surgeon, you may require surgery, a laminectomy and fusion

Customer:

my hips are also a problem as well as my buttocks

Dr. Brims :

ok

Customer:

really?? is it a out patient surgery

Dr. Brims :

No, it is not outpatient surgery, you would be admitted after surgery

Dr. Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic?

Customer:

I have a follow up with my orthopedic on monday

Dr. Brims :

Ok, thats good

Customer:

yes is this causing my sciatica to hurt like it is

Dr. Brims :

yes, most likely

Customer:

I really don't want to get caught up with physical therapy, can I tell my doctor just cut to the chase and tht I rather get the surgery and be done with it, also with all the medical changes I rather do it now not to mention my co pay for the year has been satisfied and rather do it now since my out of pocket will not be so high

Dr. Brims :

Yes, you can tell him you want to skip physical therapy and go straight to surgery

Customer:

ok, what would u suggest if I was your patient?

Dr. Brims :

I would suggest surgery

Customer:

it also says a hemangioma seen within the T11 vertabra also seen within the L4 and L2 vertebrae.

Dr. Brims :

Okay

Customer:

what does that mean

Dr. Brims :

It means there is a large blood vessel in the spine

Customer:

is that bad ? also state : L5 - S1 a 4 mm posterior midline disc hernation of the extrusion type seen with the didc extrusion extending in a caudad direction by 3 mm what does that mean

Dr. Brims :

It is not bad

Dr. Brims :

It means you have a disc herniation

Customer:

so that basically is my problem. what would happen if I don't get surgery? could it get worse? what would I be up against, besides the pain I endure?

Dr. Brims :

Your muscle weakness may progress if you don't have surgery

Customer:

will I be the same afterward? aka- feel better, or will this open up a can of worms for future surgeries

Dr. Brims :

It should make you feel better

Customer:

ok, sorry I ask these questions, but I can pick your brain easier then at the dr office, they are in and out so quick

Dr. Brims :

No problem

Customer:

are you able to answer other medical questions or are u just a specialist dr for this kind of problem

Dr. Brims :

I can answer other medical questions, but to ask questions on another topic you need to open a new post, these are the website rules. If you want to request me, just start the question with "Dr Brims only" and I will answer

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Brims :

You're welcome

Dr. Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session

Dr. Brims :

Are you there?

Dr. Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

yes sorry I am at work

Dr. Brims :

ok

Customer:

i think you answered my questions for now.

Dr. Brims :

Ok

Dr. Brims :

If I have answered your questions would you please click a rating button to end the session?

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience