Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I thought my ear was full of wax because i woke up with my

I thought my ear was full of wax because i woke up with my hearing really muffled.
Went to the doctor who told me she saw bubbles, but no wax. Said the inner ear wasn't draining. Told me it was a symptom of a cold or allergies. I told her I haven't had a cold or any allergies. I made an apt with the throat/ear doctor but it's not for a week.

Right now, my right ear seems like it can't even hear. VERY muffled. I tried plugging my nose and blowing slightly. I hear a 'pop' in that hear, then what feels like something draining down the back of my throat. but this isn't helping my hearing at all it seems.

Is this helping? Does it take awhile to get the hearing back? Tried Nasal decongestants but it didn't seem to help.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did doctor prescribe any medicine?

Do you have any other symptom?

Did you have any recent illness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No medicine. Just told me to take Nasal decongestant.

No other symptoms really. Just can't hear our of that ear. Sometimes it feels a little weird, like tickles or maybe slight pressure. But no real pain. It's been going on for about 5 days now.

No recent illness. I just woke up one morning with this feeling. i thought it was wax buildup so i used wax softener drops for about 3 days. Until i saw the doctor. Then she said all she saw was bubbles

Thank you Kathleen, for the information,

From your history it seems to be Eustachian tube dysfunction.

The middle ear is connected with the back of the throat by Eustachian tube.

This maintains the air pressure with the atmosphere.

When the tube is blocked there can be muffled hearing.

Cold, allergy, or upper respiratory infection are common causes which your doctor has referred to.

Sometimes there can be collection of fluid.

It is usually temporary condition & gets better in a week.

If it persists, you should take an examination by an ENT doctor.

Anticold tablets like advil cold, antihistamines or steroid nasal drops can also help.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When i cover my nose and blow, i hear a slight popping sound. I also feel feel something draining from my sinuses.

Is that helping?

This can help to open up the tube & drain fluid.