Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have culture and the report was: 10-50,000 CFU/ML MIXED

I have culture urine and the report was: 10-50,000 CFU/ML MIXED UROGENITAL FLORA....Please I need help to understand this report
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

Hello Lilian ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

A mixed urogenital flora may be indicative of a contaminated sample of urine. Usually for a urine culture it is advised the urethra and vagina are wiped clean and than mid stream urine is voided in the culture tube. A mid stream urine means the initially voided urine and last voided urine are not taken as a sample and only urine voided in the middle of urination is collected. A mixed urogenital flora means that the collection of the urine may not have been proper and adequate.

The 10,000 to 50,000 colony forming units (CFU) per mL is indicative of urinary infection and if the symptoms like burning, increased frequency, fever, blood in urine etc are present than with this culture report a UTI would be diagnosed; though the culture should be repeated. A right way of collecting sample will point the exact bacteria causing the infection and also identify the best antibiotic to treat and eradicate antibiotic.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine