Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi there - is it possible to have bartholin cyst cancer without

Hi there - is it possible to have bartholin cyst cancer without any evidence of a distinct lump? I have all the symptoms (tingling, sensation when sitting, uncomfortable intercourse), but can't feel any lump. I'm going to a vulva clinic in December but I'm too nervous to wait that long.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Very unlikely.

Dr. D.J. :

For cancer, there has to be at least a growth or lump which is growing.

Dr. D.J. :

Without any lump vulvar cancer is unlikely.

Dr. D.J. :

That too at your age is less common.

Dr. D.J. :

Anxiety does not help either --makes you think the worst and worsens your symptoms.

Dr. D.J. :

Please try to relax.

Dr. D.J. :

you can even see your doc interim for a pelvic examination.

Dr. D.J. :

Please reply here if you have any further question.

Please do not rate till you have all your questions answered to your full satisfaction.

Customer:

what about a thickness?

Dr. D.J. :

thickness of which part?

Customer:

Also, could it grow towards my insides, where I couldn't actually feel it to the touch, or is it always palpable?

Dr. D.J. :

it should be always palpable.

Dr. D.J. :

And any growth will cause problem with menstruation and also sexual activity.

Customer:

thickness of the labia majora and/or just inside the vagina

Dr. D.J. :

ok that does not suggest cancer usually.

Customer:

sex has been very painful for me, which is why i'm worried

Dr. D.J. :

this is common with scarring or lichenification of the skin.

Dr. D.J. :

usually, your partner will complain of some sort of obstruction or growth inside the vagina.

Dr. D.J. :

You can get this checked by your primary care doc also.

Customer:

the skin doesn't look different, and my vulvar derm confirmed all is well skin-wise

Dr. D.J. :

I doubt it --growth without any palpability.

Dr. D.J. :

ok then no worries.

Customer:

but the sensation is driving me crazy. and i read something that says if you're over 40, and sex is painful with bartholin cyst symptoms, cancer is a possible.

Dr. D.J. :

no that is not general finding.

Dr. D.J. :

a rare coincidence.

Dr. D.J. :

vaginismus or vulvodynia are more common causes.

Dr. D.J. :

these are due to the hypersensitivity of the nerves supplying the vulvar areas.

Customer:

So this combo is not a concern for B.gland cancer:
-one-side vulvar tingling and sensations in the B.gland area
-uncomfortable intercourse on the same side
-some discomfort when sitting
-possible thickening of that side of the vulva/vagina
-over 40

Dr. D.J. :

not at all.

Customer:

sorry, but my husband has had testicular cancer and i'm having a meltdown

Dr. D.J. :

this is not the most likely diagnosis

Dr. D.J. :

ok -- understand that

Customer:

what are the main symptoms of B.gland cancer?

Dr. D.J. :

The main symptom is a growth as we discussed above.

Dr. D.J. :

vulvar itching is another predominant symptom.

Dr. D.J. :

Other symptoms as you are experiencing are not usually seen with cancer.

Customer:

OK, thank you for your feedback. I'll try to remain calm until Dec.

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

do not worry at all.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes

Customer:

Thanks again :)

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD