Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I am a military veteran with history of L5 sacralization (chronic

I am a military veteran with history of L5 sacralization (chronic back pain)diagnosed years ago in my medical records. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1996. I had a medical review for va disability compensation relating to my back (skeletal system) and it was denied stating there was no proof however i have an extraoridinary amount of proof relating to this issue. I think what the VA did was group my chronic back pain with fibromyalgia. However, the sacralization issue doesn't have anything to do with the fibromyalgia. Am i correct in this statement and what information can you provide? Thank You~
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

How was the sacralization diagnosed? Did you get an MRI of the lumbosacral spine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Bora, Don't remember if cat scan or mri. I had terrible pain in my left side (butt) and thought i had just pulled a muscle playing basketball. It persisted for quite awhile and so i went to the hosp,. I was stationed in england at the time. I am not as extreme now as I was back then. I used to have back spasms in the middle of night while asleep. Couldn't hardly walk it was so painful. If i sneezed it was like i could feel it go right down my spine and it hurt. Was in therapy all the time it seemed. Initially on a temporary profile on and off forever. They ended up putting me on a permanent profile after about 6 1/2 years in service.

Do you have experience at all with the va? So much pain i ended up having a lot of pain in my leg and was told from the pain i was babying one side and therefore lost the muscle in my leg. Very often pain going down my leg. Now i just don't sleep well, sacro iliacs are always tender to the touch and swollen. Pull muscles quite easily. But I don't go complain because i've had it so long and know that i just have to live with.

This issue is a skeletal issue though, correct? Because this is my concern with the VA. This is a service connected disability that they have not acknowledged and I don't think it should be grouped with fibromyalgia.

Thanks Laura.

I can help you with the medical problem related to your back pain.

Do you want to know the benefits related to disability offered under VA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I currently receive some disability for fibromyalgia...but again i think they grouped my back problems as a part of fibromyalgia and i don't think it should have been. I really just need to know if this is correct. Everyones take on fibromyalgia seems to be different. However, from what i've heard is fibromyalgia is a nerve issue. My L5 issue is a skeletal/muscular issue and I'm trying to get clarification on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
never answered
Sorry Laura, I could not get back to you on time.

Anyway, lets get back to your question.

Fibromyalgia is a nerve issue.

Most of the research findings in fibromyalgia point to a malfunctioning of the central nervous system (CNS), which includes the brain and spinal cord. Yet, there appear to be a variety of abnormalities occurring in the peripheral soft tissues (muscles and connective tissue) and the peripheral nervous system that communicates with the CNS. This dysfunctional interplay between the CNS and peripheral systems is believed by most investigators to be the source of the many body-wide symptoms. In a way, fibromyalgia could be considered a disease of the CNS.

Sacralization of the fifth lumbar vertebra (spine) happens when the transverse process of L5 fuses to the sacrum (tail bone). It can fuse on one side or both sides. Typically, it is bilateral. In addition, the intervertebral disc of L5 - S1 may be narrow and thin. Sacralization can be the cause lower back pain but often there are no symptoms associated with it.

So if you do not have any disc related problem like disc compressio, bulge etc, your symptoms are mostly due to fibromyalgia .

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.