Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a severe stinging/burning sensation that runs from the

I have a severe stinging/burning sensation that runs from the top of my right ankle where my foot begins and continues down and around the bottom of the ankle bone. If I straighten my ankle in a ballerina toe stand motion it is excrutiatingly painful until it is at full stretch. occasionally I feel a sort of like nerve sensation from my heel through the bottom of my foot into the ankle that makes it feel like my ankle is going to give out.

Hello Raymond ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are your symptoms?
Was there any unaccustomed activity which precipitated it?
Any significant past history (like injury / fracture / joint pain / arthritis)?
Do you have swelling, tenderness in or around the area?
Were any investigations like x-rays, blood work done?
Are you over weight?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not overweight, no injury, sometimes ankle swells slightly, pain is severe to moderate but never pain free

Thanks Raymond for the further information.

Following are the possibilities of the diagnosis;

1) Gout; this is confirmed by the blood levels of the uric acid and x-ray. It is treated by medications which decrease the uric acid in body and anti-inflammatory analgesics.
2) Osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis) of the ankle; diagnosed by MRI. Physical therapy and ankle brace are the mainstay of the treatment.
3) Tendonitis (inflammation) of the Achilles tendon; a tenderness on it is a distinct sign. It is treated by therapeutic ultrasound, physical therapy, steroid shots.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would inflammation of the Achilles tendon cause acute pain in the front side of the ankle and would gout be a constant pain in just the ankle? I thought gout was a flare up type of condition. This is more or les constant.

The Achilles tendonitis causes the weight bearing line to change and there are abnormal stresses on the various soft tissue around the joint (ligaments, muscles and other tendon) and may cause pain in the front of the joint.

Gout itself is a medical condition which may cause off and on pain depending on the levels of serum uric acid and its level may fluctuate.

The symptoms alone may not sometimes diagnostic and a physical exam and investigations / medical imaging would further give insight to the cause and diagnosis.

It is great privilege assisting you.