Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had back pain and leg numbness for over a year. I am

I have had back pain and leg numbness for over a year. I am very active. I finally went to doctor and he ordered an MRI. I have a severe ruptured disc. And its on the side that I didn't think. I have numbness in both legs. I have numbness in both arms and severe neck pain. Is that normal for all extremities to hurt and become numb with just a ruptured disc?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Was this ruptured disc at the cervical spine?

Customer:

The disc was at the lower spine. The very bottom disc is non-existent, he said I must have been born with a very small disc. Then the one above it is ruptured.

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

this will cause symptoms at the lower extremities only.

Dr. D.J. :

The upper extremity symptoms are related to the cervical spine problem.

Dr. D.J. :

You will need a MRI scan of the cervical spine.

Dr. D.J. :

and you will also need to see a spine surgeon.

Dr. D.J. :

it is better to consider surgery given your symptoms for lumbar spine now, then may be for cervical spine also.

Customer:

ok. I told him of the neck pain and arm numbness. This is an orthopedic doctor that I saw. But he only did an xray of neck. Said it appeared stiff.

Customer:

He ordered an epidural for the lower spine. Said it is too severe for physical therapy.

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

That is fine --may help for a while.

Dr. D.J. :

But ultimately you need to consider surgery --may be a neurosurgeon will be better.

Customer:

ok. Then I am on the right path. I scheduled apt with a neurosurgeon for second opinion. I don't want to put a bandaid on a broken arm, so to speak...I am active, I run a lot. I want it fixed.

Dr. D.J. :

Yes correct

Dr. D.J. :

You made the right decision.

Customer:

Should I seek an MRI of cervical spine or just wait to see neurosurgeon?

Dr. D.J. :

Your symptoms will be improved with surgery in this case.

Dr. D.J. :

You can wait till you see the neurosurgeon.

Customer:

ok Thanks for your help. Just was concerned at the moment because both legs are achy and numb. Didn't think that boh legs should be affected by ruptured disc on the left.

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD