Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hi, I hit the top of my head hard on the door frame of a

I hit the top of my head hard on the door frame of a car 3 days ago and was wondering if this warranted a doctors visit. I have done some research and my head hurt for a couple of minutes where I hit it but no headaches, vomiting, nausea or any of the other symptoms I have read about it. My common sense is telling me I'm fine but I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so I can't help but to worry especially after reading stories about people who hit there head and seem fine after then get rushed to the hospital and end up dying...I should really stay of google, but I can't help myself.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : The injury as you describe would be likely to cause a painful bruise to the scalp ...
Anthony Bray, MD : It would NOT be likely mechanism if injury such as to cause a concussion or fracture of the skull...
Anthony Bray, MD : it would not be expected to have force enough to cause intra- cranial bleeding ( such trauma is generally higher energy type injury such as car accident or fall to hit head on concrete for example ....
Anthony Bray, MD : it is reassuring that you do not describe feeling ongoing headache-
Anthony Bray, MD : no nausea ---
Anthony Bray, MD : no neurological symptoms such as abnormal sensation or weakness ...
Anthony Bray, MD : the lack of any neurological symptoms plus no severe headache and no nausea are reassuring and to me would indicate that you probably DO NOT need medical attention ....
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions or comments.
Anthony Bray, MD : if my answers are helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated!
Anthony Bray, MD : Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Okay, that is what I figured but I just had to ask because I was having anxiety about it. I haven't checked the top of my head for bruising or anything and its is not painful when I touch it. I also had none of the symptoms anything I read described...no headache, nausea, confusion, didn't loose consciousness, no abnormal sensation or weakness. I was just concerned because I read people can develop these symptoms weeks after the incident...what is the likely hood of developing these symptoms in the coming days or weeks?

Anthony Bray, MD : Hi again!
Anthony Bray, MD : since you have no significant symptoms now and the injury to your head was what we would consider low energy ( I realize it hurt when it happened..) you should NOT have any significant risk of internal ( intracranial ) bleeding...
Anthony Bray, MD : I understand the type if horror stories to which you refer...
Anthony Bray, MD : Don't worry !! The standing up and bumping your head on the car door frame and this is not the type of injury that would cause this concern!!
Anthony Bray, MD : You will be fine!!
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion!!
Customer:

Thank you!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice