Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Ive been taking 1.5 mg Xanax and 10 mg Ambien daily for more

I've been taking 1.5 mg Xanax and 10 mg Ambien daily for more than 12 years. I've just become aware of the many research studies linking these two drugs, as well as many other benzo's to sudden death and several forms of cancer including lung and lymphoma. Obviously I'm extremely anxious and concerned about these studies. Melatonin, which I took the past two nights give me night terrors.

I know that I can't go "cold turkey". I've forgotten to take the Xanax in the past and I've had withdrawal symptoms even on my low dose.

I need help with how to properly taper down, as well as what steps or tests to get to help me feel better about the cancer issue.

I am a 65 year old female with multiple sclerosis. In 1984 I had a malignant melanoma that was treated with a wide excision.

I look forward to hearing from someone. I'm very concerned about this. Thank you.
Hi--first off let me say that the link between chronic benzodiazepine use and certain cancers is only tenuous at this point being suggested by animal research and some studies in human cohorts so as long as you have proper cancer screenings with mammograms, blood work, and colonoscopy you should be fine from that standpoint. As for tapering the Xanax you need to have this directed by a doctor but in general it should be a slow taper over about three months. The Ambien can be tapered over about one month's time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you ... I will continue checking and discuss with my doctors ASAP.
My pleasure Alan but let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you