911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Sleep benefits on the brain. I see more studies on the TV

Sleep benefits on the brain. I see more studies on the TV today of how sleep can reduce the chance of Alzheimer and other issues brain diseases. In laymen terms, They are saying their are chemicals that act like "brain cleaners" that remove dead cells and other precursors, plaque, which can cause diseases. Doctors are recommending getting more quality sleep to allow these "brain cleaning " chemicals to go to work. I am all for that. The question is: What food or vitamin or drug can a person take before going to bed at night that will assist these "brain cleaning" chemicals to work better and hopefully keep you sleeping longer rather than waking up after 4-6 hours without any outside help like alarm clock or phone calls?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 11 months ago.

911Doctor :

A few thoughts.

911Doctor :

First of all, much of what you see on TV is bunk. It's not science.

Customer:

that is why I subscribe to JA

911Doctor :

That's not to say there aren't things that the brain needs, but supplements and 'cleansers' are snake oil for the most part.

911Doctor :

stand by for a reference

911Doctor :

scientists do agree that anti-oxidants that are in many fruits and vegetables are important for brain health

911Doctor :

but as to a product that can do this you would do better to eat a healthy diet

911Doctor :

WEB MD is a pretty good source, as is the Mayo clinic site

911Doctor :

if you do choose to use vitamin supplements there is some evidence that vitamin E helps to maintain proper brain function

911Doctor :

but you CAN take to much vitamin e, so if you choose to do this only take the recommended doses

Customer:

the show had doctors referring to experiments on rats at this point.

911Doctor :

vitamin C is touted by some but the studies as to it's benefit are inconclusive at best

911Doctor :

yes

911Doctor :

that's generally where we start... rats or mice

Customer:

fox new sunday morning. are youy familiar with the doctors segment?

911Doctor :

and then it takes YEARS to bring any promising treatment to humans as we aren't the same

911Doctor :

no sir, I am not, but I can probably find it

911Doctor :

found it

911Doctor :

it IS true that sleep is crucial to proper brain function, but this is not news

911Doctor :

if you have a sleep issue where you are awakening early

911Doctor :

doctors typically will try melatonin, a natrual body chemical in pill form, which does seem to help some people get better sleep

911Doctor :

it is over the counter

911Doctor :

i see the entire article now

Customer:

I dont want any sleep meds with contain gaba.

911Doctor :

melatonin does not contain gaba

Customer:

dr sammati and the other doctor

Customer:

I have a high hemoglobin account...in short I understand help me recover faster.

911Doctor :

have you spoken with your doctor about your sleep issues?

Customer:

A doctor said athletes blood.

911Doctor :

it is a known fact that sleep deprivation, if prolonged, can lead to depression, and can bring out seizures in people who are predisposed to them.

911Doctor :

that's very good

Customer:

I dont consider it an issue. I am more health than many my age. I dont take any pills drugs....etc.

911Doctor :

I agree

911Doctor :

it's good that you don't take unnecessary meds

Customer:

I avoid at all cost. I look to change life style or eating certain foods when possible.

911Doctor :

then that Web MD link about healthy eating for your brain will be an excellent resource for you

Customer:

This is a differant than what I swa with dr samati and the other guy around 10 am every sunday morning.

911Doctor :

I'm not sure how I can help you sir?

911Doctor :

you asked about proper brain function and if there were any foods or things you could take to help with brain health

911Doctor :

and the Web MD article is very good for that

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

ok. I will do further search on those links as well. thanks.

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

Customer:

You answered ans well as referred me to documented information.

911Doctor :

the fox article links to a science today or scientific american article

911Doctor :

good

911Doctor :

sounds like you are in good health

911Doctor :

and that's great

911Doctor :

and that you are in Th process of maintining it and that's even better

Customer:

I looked to see if I can find it give me a few more seconds, take car of other chatters I will be right back.

Customer:

I got it. http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/americas-news-hq/sunday-housecall#http://video.foxnews.com/v/2756893610001/brains-waste-removal-system-more-active-during-sleep/?playlist_id=86895

Customer:

it is a video

911Doctor :

let me see if i can open it on my work computer

911Doctor :

stand by

911Doctor :

watching it now

911Doctor :

stand by

Customer:

ok

911Doctor :

dang computer is so slow...

911Doctor :

stand by

Customer:

no problem

Customer:

dr seigal is the other dr

911Doctor :

got it

911Doctor :

so this is not surprising and has seems to be merely a better explanation than we had previously of why sleep is so critical

911Doctor :

the lymphatic system is more active during sleep and helps to remove waste products of brain activity

911Doctor :

and provide a decrease in anxiety and worry and depressive symtpoms

911Doctor :

neat

Customer:

yes. brain cleaners is not a real medical term but it is what they used to explain it.

911Doctor :

what is your question about this new research?

911Doctor :

yup

Customer:

well they mentioned no alcohol as a inhibitor that will prevent these cleaners to work more effectivly, i was looking for some food, vitamin or safe drug that will help the chemical that they call brain cleaner.

911Doctor :

again, the web MD article has a good list there

911Doctor :

alcohol

911Doctor :

in general, is a bad thing as it interrupts sleep

Customer:

no alcohol

911Doctor :

most people do not realize that alchol for the first few hours is a depresant... encourages sleep

Customer:

I dont drink

911Doctor :

but it's metabolic products then inhibit healthy sleep

911Doctor :

good, glad you don't drink

911Doctor :

fresh fruits and berries and, perhaps a small supplement of vitamin E should be what you are looking for

Customer:

I sometimes take nyquiil if I have stuffy nose...it gives me a longer sleep time. But that is getting away from this question. I was looking for something that will help the 'brain cleaner" chemicals .

911Doctor :

I'm sorry, there is no scientifically proven product such as this

Customer:

At night before sleep time? I would think fruits with sugar would be counter to sleep.

911Doctor :

straight sugar might be a bad idea, but the fructose in fruits and vegetables would be fine

911Doctor :

and a healthy protein source like chicken or fish would be good as this will keep you from waking up hungry in the middle of the night

Customer:

ok. I an satisfied with the answers you gave. I hope the ino I gave you was helpful as well.

911Doctor :

excellent

911Doctor :

thanks for your question

911Doctor :

and if this has been helpful please do leave positive feedback

911Doctor :

and ask for me anytoime

911Doctor :

'anytime'

911Doctor :

happy to be of service

Customer:

as mentioned I just started cutting out dinner substituting the ensure nutrional drink. less work digesting food at night may also aid in sleeping and the brain cleaners.

911Doctor :

not a bad idea at all

Customer:

Ok...thanks a lot. Have a great day and week. bye.

911Doctor :

you too

911Doctor :

;)

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician