Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Hello, I accidentally came on this site, looking for some info...

Customer Question

Hello, I accidentally came on this site, looking for some info... I'll try to explain my problem.
I'm 24, in 19 had a very bad mind condition (depression, feel-loss, anxiety, strong feeling guilty, and more).

Almost everything that disturbs me now - are visual memories, and they're uncontrollable. They terrorise me more, because they want to appear in the moment when I'm feeling good (when listening to music, for example). Year ago they bringed to me negative emotions, but in 2013 those emotions have gone.

In 2012 (april-may) - I was taking selectra (escitalopram) 20 mg/day, first antidepressant I've ever taken. Not alone though, also 4 mg risperidone/day. And time of selectra bringed first signs of remission after 3 years.

Then because of some side effects, I stopped taking selectra (now thinking how could I be so stupid? I ruined my efforts).

Most of 2013 year I don't feel mood (its zero from -10 to +10). I don't have positive emotions, they're extra rare.

In july (this year) I was taking Elicea (escitalopram), which I hoped will help me once again, ~5 weeks 20 mg/day. Almost no positive effect, but no side effects too. At this moment, I'm taking Laquel (quetiapine), 500 mg/day. Not helping. No mood increase. It seemed, that only selectra was right for me, but now since I'm not fully depressed - it does not help? It's a problem. But why, because I still have "holes" in my mind (visual negative memories). Today I have 3 packages of Elicea, but they're just lying on shelf.

What meds can help in such condition? Is Seroquel right for me? Since I thought it's only selectra... And as I can understand, neuroleptics can't replace anti-depressant.

Visual negative memories - my Number 1 enemy.

Want any additional information? - I'll tell.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

So, you are currently taking seroquel at a dose of 500 mg/day?

Do you think you are not responding to seroquel?

Do you want to get back to escitalopram?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for replying!

Yes, I'm taking generic of Seroquel - Laquell. 250mg - morning, 250 - before sleep. It helps me to sleep, but its seems its only function.

I'm not sure if I responding to it because I dont feel better in any way. Sometimes i feel something is missing (pleasure, enjoyment).

I would be happy (how I can) to get back to escitalopram, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Hello Konstantin!

Before I can comment on whether you could switch over to escitalopram again, I need to know your clinical diagnosis : whether you are suffering from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depression etc, so that i can provide you a suitable drug for you.

Thanks Dr. Bora.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

My mental illness at 18 years old began with deep depression, later years I was able to see what doctors write - F20 (schizophrenia)? But I dont have audible voices, I have only rare neutral speaking thoughts. I dont know exact type (if it has types). As a child i suffered from OCD.

Alright.
Quetiapine is an anti psychotic drug and is effective for most types of deprssion and even schizophrenia. However, it may sometimes be used in combination with another drug for better action. In your case, you should talk to your psychiatrist if you need to add an anti deprssant drug to quetiapine. You could use olanzepine for schizophrenia.
Escitalopram is not sufficient for long term action on the mental conditions that you are having.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello again, Dr. Bora. By the way I talked to my doctor, and we added escitalopram to quetiapine. We talked about pirazidole also.

I have 1 question: If current scheme will not work, what else drug can be used as a weapon against visual obsessive memories?

Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 9 months ago.
Hello Konstantin,

Good to hear from you.

I woud suggest to get results from a drug therapy, you need to have confidence on the drugs being used. I am confident that you will respond to these drugs and you would feel the change within 2 to 3 months. If you still see no change, you can get back to me then.

Thanks,

Dr.Bora.