Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Hi, I am a 46 year old male. I have had off and on blood on

Hi, I am a 46 year old male. I have had off and on blood on the outside of my stool for 15 or 20 yrs now. It usually happens for a 5-7 days and then not again for one to two months. I have no other symptoms associated with this i.e. weight lose, cramps, diarrhea, constipation, etc.
I finally went for a colonoscopy 5 years ago and found out I had internal and external hemorrhoids. Since then, the last 5 years continued like the past 15, with intermittent bright red blood streaking the one side of my stool, on the toilet paper, and at times, drops in toilet. My doc says to come back every 5 years for a follow up colonoscopy. My question is this: I get anxious every time I go for a test like this for fear of colon cancer. Do you feel that if it were colon cancer, I would have developed other symptoms by now?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
Do you have pain during bowel movement?
Constipation?
Burning and itching sensation around anus?
Are you taking any medicines?
Any other medical illness?
Is bleeding getting worse over the time?

Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no pain during any bowel movement.

no constipation

I have always had intermittent itching sensation around or in anus.

Bleeding does not seem to be getting worse....

No other illness

only medication I am on is venlafaxine for anxiety.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for providing additional information.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
Symptoms of colon cancer may include-
-Rectal bleeding
-Unexplained weight loss, tiredness or exhaustion
-Persistent change in bowel habits such as
-Diarrhea or constipation for more than a few weeks
-Stools that are consistently more narrow than usual
-The feeling that you are not completely emptying your bowel

As you have history of Hemorrhoids which usually doesn't cause cancer however screening at regular intervals(5 years) is must in any case of rectal bleeding.
At your current condition,chances of cancer are less.
Even you need to undergo Complete blood count to rule out Anemia due to blood loss.
Also you should consult a proctologist for proper management of Hemorrhoids as you shouldn't leave it as such.
Eat fibre rich diet.
Avoid spicy,fried food,caffeine.
Drink plenty of water.
Start metamucil.
And try Prep H ointment for itching around anus.

Hope this helps.
Please press reply button if you have follow-up query.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean when you say "At your current condition,chances of cancer are less."

also, you did not answer the question:

Do you feel that if it were colon cancer, I would have developed other or more symptoms other than intermittent bleeding by now, since I have had this for many years?

Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
It's my first priority to serve you further.
As you have no other symptoms associated with this blood in stool i.e. weight loss, cramps, diarrhea, constipation, etc. presently so chances of cancer are less.

if it were colon cancer, youwould have developed other or more symptoms other than intermittent bleeding by now, since you have had this for many years.

I do not think you have colon cancer. What you are experiencing is a tiny anal tear causing intermittent itching on anus or hemorrhoid that bleeds internally just inside the rectum.
You can try hemorrhoid products over the counter and wipe with a tucks pad when this is occuring. It will help with healing.
It's good to see a colo-rectal specialist for surgical intervention to treat hemorrhoids properly.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX were a polyp bleeding near the end of the rectum, wouldn't the bleeding be heavier than simply coating/streaking the stool and drops in toilet?

There are no differences in symptoms.
Both can develop bleeding as coating and streaks on stool and toilet.
It is only by visual examination of the rectum by a Colo-rectal specialist that the proper diagnosis can be made.

Polyps cause mainly abdominal pain while hemorrhoid pain causes more of pain in the butt.
However as you have no pain during bowel movement so just blood in stool doesn't help in determine the cause.
As you have undergone anoscope 2.5 years ago and diagnosed with a clotted hemorrhoid so most likely your symptoms are associated with Hemorrhoids.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one last thing...in the event of colon cancer...is the blood more persistent rather than intermittent? (More like every day)

Also, in your expert opinion, by what you have read above, do you feel that there is a very low chance that i have colon cancer, and more likely it is still hemorrhoids due to the fact that i have been diagnosed with hemorrhoids during a colonoscopy 5 years ago and have had the same symptoms for so many years without any additional symptoms such as cramps, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, etc.

In its early stages, someone can have intermittent bleeding with colon cancer. However, colon cancer does not usually cause visible bleeding (it is more commonly microscopic). The stools otherwise appear normal in the early stages of colon cancer (other than the microscopic blood).

And afterwards,blood is more persistent and gradually get worse over the time with additional symptoms such as cramps, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, etc.

So there is a low chance that you have colon cancer, and more likely it is still hemorrhoids.
You will need to consider having the colon screened every five years.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doc, I will be rating you high, but just for info...where did you practice medicine and what kind of doc are you? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

I'm Board Certified Doctor(MBBS,MD) in India with 32 years of experience in medical practice.

Whenever you have any health related problem you can ask me in future.
It's my pleasure to help you.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.