Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

So, I went back to my doctor today to get checked out. My neck

So, I went back to my doctor today to get checked out. My neck had been sore an stiff for three days and I kept having this cronic pain. He checked me out and said that it might be Fybro- Myalga, and that I should take Motrion three times a day for a week. If I don't get better, then he would send me to a diffrent doctor. I like my doctor, but I am getting a little sick and tired. For the past three weeks I have been sick. I am a 24 year, old female, which this should not be happening. Right now I am sitting at home, feeling like I have the flu, even though I dont have a temperature, pain in both of my calfs, and I just want some answers. Please help me, and Please have it be a doctor who can chat, not just email. Thank You!
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : You mentioned three days if neck pain....
Anthony Bray, MD : you also mentioned CHRONIC pain--- how long and where have you been having this pain ?
Anthony Bray, MD : is this general muscle aches? Is it more in the joints ??
Anthony Bray, MD : do you feel stiff and ache in the AM especially ??
Anthony Bray, MD : a viral syndrome would be one consideration in general I would say...
Customer:

The pain I think would be from just a couple of days

Anthony Bray, MD : a CBC( complete blood count ) with white cell differential would be helpful ....
Customer:

the doctor said my joints are enflamed and that one of the reasons i needed to take the motrion

Customer:

he did blood work a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine

Anthony Bray, MD : certain viral infections may be associated with certain pain or other symptoms--- mono and fatigue is common for example... Parvovirus B19 may cause several months if joint pain symptoms...
Anthony Bray, MD : the CBC WITH DIFF may show high lymphocytes in the case of a viral infection...
Customer:

what about my calfs

Customer:

they sometimes hurt when i have a bit to much salty food and not enough water

Customer:

but just the past couple of hours they have been hurting alot

Customer:

and elevating them did not help, it just felt like the pain moved farther up my leg

Anthony Bray, MD : fibromyalgia may affect young patients such as yourself... With fibromyalgia this is generally showing normal on most blood tests with possible exception if C- reactive protein....
Customer:

its just so upsetting

Customer:

i never used to be like this

Customer:

and i feel like a 90 year old lady with all these issue

Customer:

es

Customer:

i feel like there is something majorly wrong cause thats what itt feels like

Anthony Bray, MD : fibromyalgia pain may benefit from medicines such as Lyrica or Cymbalta... There may be links to poor sleep quality ... Ambien has been helpful to some patients in my experience with that disorder...
Customer:

from what im telling you does it sound like anything serious? my eyes feel heavy my sinusis hurt, my calfs are in alot of pain like heated stinging pain and i feel like i have the flu

Anthony Bray, MD : Well hang in there and try not to get too discouraged first if all!!
Customer:

Im only discouraged cause i cant wake up in the morning and feel normal

Customer:

something is always wrong

Anthony Bray, MD : you may benefit from an anti-inflammatory such as Aleve 1 to 2 tablets twice a day with food as a possibility...this would frequently help with viral syndrome situations... Anti- inflammatory meds do not seem much help in the case of fibromyalgia however...
Anthony Bray, MD : you should be screened for autoimmune disease including rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, lupus and others...
Customer:

u think i could have something like that at such a young age?

Anthony Bray, MD : screening tests may include ANA,ANCA, rheumatoid factor , sed rate and C-reactive protein to look for this class of disease process..
Anthony Bray, MD : if you had this type problem then you would be referred to a rheumatologist most likely...
Customer:

U don't think its a blood clot or something like that?

Anthony Bray, MD : Yes, it is possible.... Autoimmune disease may occur in you g ages even children...
Anthony Bray, MD : If blood clot the pain of the calf ( usually just one but at times can be bilateral) accompanied by swelling of calf... Often redness...
Customer:

there is no swelling or redness

Anthony Bray, MD : usually DVT( blood clot in leg) is associated with risk factor such as very limited mobility for period of time such as with recovery from surgery and bedrest...
Customer:

gotchya

Customer:

could it be from the frybromyalga that when i elevate my legs it does not help or possibly feel worse

Anthony Bray, MD : if you had reason to suspect DVT then that is an emergent problem!! ER visit with evaluation of the legs with Doppler ultrasound and blood test for D- dimer( looks for abnormal clotting activity ) would be indicated...
Customer:

why would i have a reason to suspect it? should i be worried???

Anthony Bray, MD : usually just soreness of calves but no other evidence to suggest DVT would NOT be a DVT...
Anthony Bray, MD : Birth control pills can be a risk factor ... Pregnancy can be a risk factor...
Customer:

i am on birth control

Customer:

but i have been on it since january of last year and have had no issue with it

Anthony Bray, MD : inherited conditions such as factor V Leiden may be risk factor but can be unknown until problem such as clot presents itself...
Customer:

none of this is helping me

Anthony Bray, MD : Right, it sounds unlikely that DVT would be your problem here...
Customer:

should i go to the doctor tomorow and have him check my calfs?

Anthony Bray, MD : warm skin of calves and swelling would be major clues to DVT...
Anthony Bray, MD : have you been in feet more? More walking / running/ exercise???
Customer:

nope

Customer:

nothing of the sort

Customer:

no swelling

Anthony Bray, MD : these changes in activity could be reason for calf pain commonly...
Customer:

no warm skin

Customer:

nothing of the sort

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok -- good that you have none of the warning signs for DVT...
Customer:

i have this pain in the left side of my neck

Anthony Bray, MD : Any night time leg cramps? That too may cause calf pain ...
Customer:

but the doc felt it today and he said it was from a muscle

Customer:

even though it feels like someone is stepping on my lung

Customer:

no night time cramps

Anthony Bray, MD : Any swelling of lymph nodes?? How long has that bothered you??
Anthony Bray, MD : i would agree with starting an anti-inflammatory med to see if it helps...
Customer:

well, tonight i started taking mortion so we will see

Customer:

he said my joints were enflamed

Customer:

3 weeks ago they were cause i took a medicine tthat i was alregic to

Customer:

so he told me the same thing and i think it went away

Anthony Bray, MD : Feels like someone stepping on your lung?? Weird description there... Does it hurt to take deep breath ?
Customer:

but now three weeks later, there enflamed

Anthony Bray, MD : are you short of breath??
Customer:

not short of breath

Customer:

i think its anxiety

Customer:

he checked my neck he listed to it and all that uffst

Customer:

my doc said there was nothing there

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok -- dies it hurt to swallow?? Sore throat??
Anthony Bray, MD : if main symptoms have been limited to just three weeks then I think that improves the likelihood of you improving from this condition...
Anthony Bray, MD : Sorry typos... Does above...
Customer:

no sore throat

Customer:

a little sore on my left side

Customer:

but again i think thats from my muscle

Customer:

as the doc told me

Anthony Bray, MD : So in your position I think you are very much more likely to realize improvement of symptoms within weeks and may never know the cause...
Anthony Bray, MD : the more that symptoms persist then the more that deeper investigations and tests would be warranted...
Customer:

i just hate being sick all the time

Customer:

its very upsetting

Anthony Bray, MD : If ongoing symptoms then further tests for viral and other infections ( Lyme 's disease) and autoimmune disease may be warranted...
Anthony Bray, MD : checking may extend to electrolytes / thyroid function/ blood sugar/ liver function/ kidney function may be included ....
Customer:

i guess

Anthony Bray, MD : Well hang in there and try not to despair !! We all hate to feel sick!! That is normal and very upsetting and frustrating !! You sound to have good health as your normal baseline and this will most likely return!
Customer:

thank you

Anthony Bray, MD : In the meantime start with the anti-inflammatory meds for now... Follow up with your doctor soon ( next week to 2 weeks) if not improving... Further testing may be needed but may prove unnecessary if you spontaneously get better...
Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray, MD : I think you spontaneously getting better is much more likely to be the case based on my experience...
Anthony Bray, MD : I certainly hope this will be the case for you!!
Customer:

me to

Anthony Bray, MD : i hope this has been helpful ! Let me know if you have further questions!
Customer:

is there anything i should be looking for that i should be worried about

Anthony Bray, MD : i will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : well fever--- swelling-- new symptoms of concern-- UTI symptoms-- GI symptoms such as diarrhea may not be of major concern here but may give clue as to cause.... Nausea... Abdominal pain...
Anthony Bray, MD : contact your doctor if you develop new and concerning symptoms...
Customer:

ok

Customer:

but you think its nothing serious?

Anthony Bray, MD : mono for example may make you feel awful in general and different people may not experience the illness identically... Mono could cause very mild inflammation if liver too and may cause nausea and upper right abdominal pain... I list this as just a common illness that could be a potential for you but your history does not strike me as classic case of mono...
Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray, MD : I list it and its potential variations of symptoms more as a broad example here...
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that you feel better soon!
Anthony Bray, MD : Let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice