Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dr called yesterday afternoon. Said stool culture, O&P, & H.

Dr called yesterday afternoon. Said stool culture, O&P, & H. Pylori came back negative. Started Xifaxan this morning, along with a probiotic. Still have a bloated feeling in upper left quadrant into back. Sometimes in the front I can pinpoint some pain, but it comes and goes and lasts a few seconds at a time. Could the pain be a result of a bug?
Hi--where exactly is the pain and is it stabbing or burning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you go straight down from your left nipple, just below the ribs.

OK. This sounds like something called splenic flexure syndrome--just a sudden contraction of the left colon in exactly that area. It can be seem with irritable bowel syndrome but it could also occur with an infectious colitis. For now we need to give the Xifaxin a day or two to work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you.

No problem--keep me in the loop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Woke up this morning, had diarrhea again once a day in the morning as usual. This morning there was a lot of orange stringy stuff in it that looked almost red, until I started poking it with a cotton swab, and then I saw it was orange. I've been on the xifaxan yesterday 3x a day, and I've got today and tomorrow as well. is this normal? What could this be if the xifaxan doesn't work? Stools are still fowl smelling.

Hi--sorry but I was off--let me know when you're back on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on now.

One thing I don't think I asked before--has this ever happened before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

And what have you been eating these past few days?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday I had a bagel, chicken noodle soup, and cheese quesadilla. It's been very hard to eat, as I am not hungry and it takes a very long time to eat even a small amount. I should also mention that last month I had an abdominal ultrasound and was diagnosed with a gallstone, but no inflammation/sludge.

OK--part of this could be from your gall bladder problem and it sounds as though you might be having a fat absorption problem from a variation in the bile delivered to your small intestine. I somehow think this may not be an infectious enteritis at all but you need to continue on the Xifaxin for now. I think you need a HIDA scan to see how well your gall bladder is emptying.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you think this could all be related to my gallbladder? The beginning of last week I had nausea in the morning especially, but it subsided by Thursday. I now no longer have nausea, but like I said, it's hard to eat and I'm not hungry. Still having loose movements once in the morning, NO pain URQ. And it seems whatever I eat the night before comes out in the morning.

From what you're telling me this isn't acting like the typical infectious enteritis so, yes, I think your gall bladder may be the culprit here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I've lost quite a bit of weight in the last few weeks - in the beginning it was due to anxiety and not having an appetite because of that. Then on the 10th, I woke up with diarrhea x1 in the morning, no appetite, nausea that lasted almost a week. So I haven't been eating as much as normal. I've lost about 10lbs in the last month. I'm still going to continue with the antibiotics until I'm done with them tomorrow, but if I'm not better by Tuesday, what should I do then? What type of doctor should I see/what type of testing should be done? Why would my gallbladder cause my stool to be orange?

As I said, if your gall bladder isn't emptying properly and not enough bile is getting into your intestines for proper digestion that could cause both the diarrhea and the orange stools. Your doctor can order the HIDA scan and if it's abnormal you need to see a gastroenterologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should also add that today is the first day with orange stools. All of the other days that I've had these symptoms (10 days) they've all been brown, minus one time when I was straining to go, and all that came out was orange mucus like substance on the toliet paper.

OK--I still think your gall bladder needs evaluation. It really would explain all the symptoms you've been having
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will talk to my internal medicine doctor tomorrow or Tuesday. If it's not gallbladder, and I do have an infection in my gut, and the xifaxan knocks it out, when should the diarrhea stop? The day I stop the medicine? I'm on day 2 - of 3 day dosage 3x a day.

The Xifaxin, if it's going to be effective, should kick in in another day or two. The other option would be to switch you to Flagyl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I should also note that Friday before starting the Xifaxan, I took a probiotic, then one yesterday, then one again today.

Nothing wrong with that and it wouldn't be contributing to your symptoms