Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Dr called yesterday afternoon. Said stool culture, O&P, & H.

Dr called yesterday afternoon. Said stool culture, O&P, & H. Pylori came back negative. Started Xifaxan this morning, along with a probiotic. Still have a bloated feeling in upper left quadrant into back. Sometimes in the front I can pinpoint some pain, but it comes and goes and lasts a few seconds at a time. Could the pain be a result of a bug?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Hi--where exactly is the pain and is it stabbing or burning?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If you go straight down from your left nipple, just below the ribs.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
OK. This sounds like something called splenic flexure syndrome--just a sudden contraction of the left colon in exactly that area. It can be seem with irritable bowel syndrome but it could also occur with an infectious colitis. For now we need to give the Xifaxin a day or two to work.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
No problem--keep me in the loop
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Woke up this morning, had diarrhea again once a day in the morning as usual. This morning there was a lot of orange stringy stuff in it that looked almost red, until I started poking it with a cotton swab, and then I saw it was orange. I've been on the xifaxan yesterday 3x a day, and I've got today and tomorrow as well. is this normal? What could this be if the xifaxan doesn't work? Stools are still fowl smelling.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Hi--sorry but I was off--let me know when you're back on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am on now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
One thing I don't think I asked before--has this ever happened before?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
And what have you been eating these past few days?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yesterday I had a bagel, chicken noodle soup, and cheese quesadilla. It's been very hard to eat, as I am not hungry and it takes a very long time to eat even a small amount. I should also mention that last month I had an abdominal ultrasound and was diagnosed with a gallstone, but no inflammation/sludge.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
OK--part of this could be from your gall bladder problem and it sounds as though you might be having a fat absorption problem from a variation in the bile delivered to your small intestine. I somehow think this may not be an infectious enteritis at all but you need to continue on the Xifaxin for now. I think you need a HIDA scan to see how well your gall bladder is emptying.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So you think this could all be related to my gallbladder? The beginning of last week I had nausea in the morning especially, but it subsided by Thursday. I now no longer have nausea, but like I said, it's hard to eat and I'm not hungry. Still having loose movements once in the morning, NO pain URQ. And it seems whatever I eat the night before comes out in the morning.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
From what you're telling me this isn't acting like the typical infectious enteritis so, yes, I think your gall bladder may be the culprit here
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I've lost quite a bit of weight in the last few weeks - in the beginning it was due to anxiety and not having an appetite because of that. Then on the 10th, I woke up with diarrhea x1 in the morning, no appetite, nausea that lasted almost a week. So I haven't been eating as much as normal. I've lost about 10lbs in the last month. I'm still going to continue with the antibiotics until I'm done with them tomorrow, but if I'm not better by Tuesday, what should I do then? What type of doctor should I see/what type of testing should be done? Why would my gallbladder cause my stool to be orange?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
As I said, if your gall bladder isn't emptying properly and not enough bile is getting into your intestines for proper digestion that could cause both the diarrhea and the orange stools. Your doctor can order the HIDA scan and if it's abnormal you need to see a gastroenterologist
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I should also add that today is the first day with orange stools. All of the other days that I've had these symptoms (10 days) they've all been brown, minus one time when I was straining to go, and all that came out was orange mucus like substance on the toliet paper.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
OK--I still think your gall bladder needs evaluation. It really would explain all the symptoms you've been having
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I will talk to my internal medicine doctor tomorrow or Tuesday. If it's not gallbladder, and I do have an infection in my gut, and the xifaxan knocks it out, when should the diarrhea stop? The day I stop the medicine? I'm on day 2 - of 3 day dosage 3x a day.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
The Xifaxin, if it's going to be effective, should kick in in another day or two. The other option would be to switch you to Flagyl
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I should also note that Friday before starting the Xifaxan, I took a probiotic, then one yesterday, then one again today.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Nothing wrong with that and it wouldn't be contributing to your symptoms
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)