Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I had gallbladder surgery last Thursday. My concern is that

I had gallbladder surgery last Thursday. My concern is that I have a constant feeling to urinate even though I may or may not have any urine. I also have cramping on my left side. Could this be a UTI or no it is just something that happens after the surgery and it is my body adjusting?
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

Chris C. :

This is a common symptom after gallbladder surgery.

Chris C. :

What happens during the surgery is that air is injected inside the abdominal cavity to allow the organs to separate more easily for the surgical instruments and scope move around easily to prevent damage to them.

Chris C. :

This air pressure is released at the end of the procedure but all of it never gets out.

Chris C. :

The body will naturally absorb the air as time passes.

Chris C. :

This causes cramping and a sense of urgency to urinate when it puts pressure on the bladder.

Customer:

Would it take more than a week for this to exit the body?

Customer:

What would indicate that it is a UTI a burning during urination?

Chris C. :

Yes it can take up to a couple of weeks for it to be absorbed. Of course you must also consider that your internal organs have been moved a bit from where they were so they also have to "settle" back into the position they will stay.

Chris C. :

This can also cause cramping and the urgency you describe and they shift.

Chris C. :

Within a couple of weeks post procedure this should be resolved.

Customer:

So if it is not resolved in a few weeks should I say something to the surgeon?

Chris C. :

If you get a burning sensation on urination it is not related to the surgery and would indicate a possible uti.

Chris C. :

Yes follow up with the surgeon if it has not resolved in a couple of weeks.

Customer:

Okay, thank you.

Chris C. :

It is likely procedure related though.

Chris C. :

You are very welcome!

Chris C. :

Thanks for using Just Answer and please remember to rate so I get credit for my time.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.