Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Is it possible that taking a standing x-ray of the entire spine

Is it possible that taking a standing x-ray of the entire spine shows scoliosis that does not appear on an MRI of the lumbar and thoracic spine separately because the x-ray shows the bony structures better than an MRI?

Yes it is possible.
Scoliosis is a medical condition in which a person's spine is curved from side to side.
Usually if the thoracic and lumbar spine are not in a single frame the condition can be missed on MRI.
Standing X-ray of the spine is the most important investigation to diagnose adult scoliosis.

I hope this helps
Hello, I would like to disagree with the above expert.

Scoliosis can be well seen on an MRI scan because the curvature of the spine can be seen on both sagittal and coronal images. So, we usually can report scoliosis on an MRI scan.
However, an X ray is ususally the most basic investigation to pick up scoliosis. So, an X ray of the whole spine can usually detect scoliosis and CT scan is even better than an X ray.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So would scoliosis of the thoracolumbar spine be detectable on MRI if the thoracic spine and the lumbar spine was scanned separately on separate dates. I mean would the thoracolumbar spine have to be scanned togeter to detect it?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX back to me.

On the thoracic spine MRI , we can see the thoracic scoliosis, if present.

On the lumbar spine MRI, we can see the lumbar scoliosis, if present.

So, even if the technician does not include the entire spine on the MRI at one go, we can still detect the scoliosis separately because as I said: coronal images usually can detect the scoliotic derformity. The coronal images are part of the protocol in every MRI scan!.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So could the x-ray diagnosis of thoracolumbar scoiliosis be a misinterpretation?

No, not really if the scoliosis is quite evident on the X ray. But if the patient has not been positioned correctly while taking the X ray, the scoliosis may be reported inadvertently. So, may a times, mild scoliosis may be over diagnosed on an X ray!
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks Dinah for the "positive ratimg and the bonus".

For new or follow up questions, please request me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.

Thanks,
Dr. Bora.