Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

gerd and panic attacks? hello im 29 old male 56 and

gerd and panic attacks?

hello

im 29 old male 5'6 and 281 lbs and i suffer from acid reflux since 2010 probabley cause of my obesity

anyway right now everytime i go to a far place from home i get a panic attacks cause i worry that i might get an acid reflux while im on road...and this feeling start when i having panic attacks and get abdominal weird feelings and i start to breath heavly and begin to worry and so on.

is this related to acid reflux? or a side effect of it?....if i lose all the weight and gerd / acid reflux disappeares will this panic attacks disappeares?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you this evening.

Chris C. :

So what is the progression?

Chris C. :

Do you get anxiety first then gerd symptoms?

Customer:

yeah

Chris C. :

Ok while anxiety won't cause GERD it can cause heartburn and make GERD symptoms worse.

Customer:

yeah

Chris C. :

Anxiety causes the body to produce more stomach acid and this increases pressure in the stomach with gas pressure making the refluxed material to be much more acidic.

Chris C. :

This causes the typical GERD symptoms and then your further anxiety only makes it worse.

Chris C. :

This is a vicious cycle and the erosion from the GERD can get sever if this is not addressed. Have you been prescribed anxiety medications?

Customer:

my worst fear is i might have a heart attack....is it a possible?

Customer:

and if i lose weight and gerd is resolved ...will i still have heartburn with anxiety ?

Chris C. :

If you reduce weight this will of course reduce the gerd symptoms by reducing the pressure on the area and reflux. Once the reflux is reduced the area is not constantly bombarded by acid and can heal which will resolve your heartburn symptoms except for the occasional "normal" heartburn we all have.

Chris C. :

Once this gerd goes away you should have much less anxiety.

Customer:

wait wait

Customer:

i will have much less anxiety?

Customer:

how? this is really shockingly happy for me

Chris C. :

If the gerd resolves and you can control the acid reflux the area can heal. This constantly irritated area due to the reflux causes constant discomfort which causes anxiety. If the body is healed and not constantly irritated it is not at "high alert" so your symptoms should get better. That is unless you have other serious issues that are causing your anxiety you have not described here.

Chris C. :

If you no longer worry about the gerd symptoms then you have less anxiety and so you have less gerd and so on.

Chris C. :

You will feel more comfortable that the gerd will not be an issue.

Chris C. :

Weight loss is key to helping accomplish this though as you know.

Customer:

lets say i resolved my gerd and its fully healed and i lost all weight....if i was on the road and same feeling came to me...how bad it will be? or what the difference be after gerd resolved?

Chris C. :

The reflux may never go away totally but even if it does occur occasionally it should not cause sever symptoms. This is the same principle as picking a scab and never letting it heal. Constant picking just like constant irritation does not allow the body to heal itself. If the area is not picked at or in your case not irritated it can heal and then it can handle occasional irritations without sever consequences.

Customer:

can u please explain me the "high alert" thingy u said please

Chris C. :

Basically anxiety. The body is in an overly alert state.

Customer:

does anxiety cause heart attack?

Customer:

in my age

Customer:

i mean what the worst case scenario

Customer:

can happen

Chris C. :

I can weaken the heart and over a period of years this weakening can cause permanent damage.

Chris C. :

Stress/Anxiety can cause a heart attack.

Chris C. :

Especially being overweight.

Customer:

but ofcourse not on an early age like 29 ...ur talking about the future

Chris C. :

It is possible as early as the mid 30's if you do not reduce stress and get to a healthy weight but more likely the older you get.

Customer:

how much percent u think the anxiety will disappeare if i eliminate its source wich is the fear of "gerd attack" ?

Chris C. :

That varies from person to person but on average 75% as a rough guess.