Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Ok, my husband just picked up the Rx from the pharmacy and

Ok, my husband just picked up the Rx from the pharmacy and the pharmacist said that this is going to make me sick, so I need to take a probiotic with it. She said it's going to cause nausea and diarrhea? It's 3 times a day for 3 days. Is that the usual amount to kick this stuff?

Chris C. :

What is the name of the medication? I assume it is an antibiotic. What was this prescribed for?

Customer:

xifaxan. I've been having nausea, diarrhea x once a day, lack of appetite, and fatigue forXXXXX did stool culture, O & P, and H. Pylori. Still waiting on O & P and H. Pylori, but he prescribed this even though he said I didn't have a bad strain of E. coli based on my stool culture.

Customer:

I think I might have giardia since I have a little one at home in diapers. Another doctor on here told me that Xifaxan would also treat giardia. ???

Chris C. :

Ok this is normally used to treat traveler's diarrhea caused by a bacteria called Escherichia coli and parasites such as Giardia. This is the normal treatment and it will cause destruction of other naturally occuring bacteria as well in the intestinal tract.

Chris C. :

This is the reason that you need to take a probiotic to help maintain and recolonize the intestinal tract otherwise the antibiotic will reduce the numbers to the point where they will not properly absorb the nutrients from the tract which will cause gas, more diarrhea, cramping, etc.

Customer:

Ok, so if I do have giardia, this should knock it out? In 3 days?

Chris C. :

Most people should take a probiotic to just maintain intestinal health. They are cheap and can be bought at places like http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Multi-Enzyme-Probiotic-200-Tablets/11997236

Chris C. :

Yes it will.

Customer:

Ok, I have a probiotic in the fridge. Floragin 15 million live cultures per pill. How often should I take one while on this medicine?

Chris C. :

Ok, with this product you should take 1 capsules twice per day until the symptoms resolve.

Chris C. :

The normal dosage would be 1 per day.

Chris C. :

That is a good product for your cindition.

Customer:

ok. So when should I begin to feel relief from these symptoms (diarrhea x1 a day, nausea, fatigue, no appetite) while on this antibiotic?

Chris C. :

That really depends on the causative agent. If it is Giardia or E. Coli within a couple of days. But, you need the labs to come back first to make sure that is what the organism is.

Chris C. :

This is just a good general "cover all the bases" type treatment.

Chris C. :

It may or may not be the right one.

Chris C. :

Pending test results.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

The florajen capsules are pretty big. Can I break it open into water? Or something like that? I'm not sure I can swallow them.

Chris C. :

Yes you can break them but they are best whole. Also, they should be taken on an empty stomach so no food.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks so much for your help! I hope to be feeling better soon on these medicines!