Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

After a massage, a chiropractor who had read my new-patient

After a massage, a chiropractor who had read my new-patient forms, urged me to get a full exam, stating, "Chronic pain is not normal, even at your age."

I am 43 years of age. I have (mostly well-controlled) type 2 diabetes. I have a long history of hard labor. I have had intermittent chiropractic treatments at another practice.

How "normal" is chronic pain among 43-year old laborers? Can you direct me to some statistics that aren't connected with a website that is selling something?

Chris C. :

Let me give you a couple of links:

Chris C. :

Here is the important thing "Back pain is the leading cause of disability in Americans under 45 years old. More than 26 million Americans between the ages of 20-64 experience frequent back pain."

Chris C. :

Adults age 45-64 years were the most likely to report pain lasting more than 24 hours (30%).

Chris C. :

These will provide some government statistics for reference.

Customer:

Those links look very promising, and those links seem to have links of their own! I'll peruse them all soon. Thank you for your help in making me a better informed patient.

Chris C. :

http://www.cdc.gov/nationalhealthyworksite/docs/Issue_Brief_No_1_Older_Employees_in_the_Workplace_7-12-2012_FINAL%28508%29.pdf

Chris C. :

You are very welcome! You should find plenty of correct information versus someone trying to sell you magic beans.

Customer:

You understand me completely.

Chris C. :

The fact is that hard labor takes a toll on many parts of the body especially long term as you have.

Chris C. :

Yes I do.

Chris C. :

So back pain is not uncommon at all at your age after years of wear on the body.

Chris C. :

It has nothing to do with your age by itself but being a laborer you puts far more stress on your body than someone twice your age so of course it causes your body to show it sooner.

Customer:

Such was my initial hypothesis...just didn't want to get too "paranoid" about what the chiropractor was telling me.

Customer:

I'd considered laying some Spanish on him to get a sense for how many local (hard) laborers he ever got to see.

Chris C. :

Well, here is something else to consider. Someone in that graduating class got straight A's and someone made it my the skin of their teeth. The both have the same credentials...

Chris C. :

You are not being paranoid at all.

Customer:

I don't hear that very often, most of my friends being of an Oh-have-some-faith attitude.

Chris C. :

Faith is fine in moderation. But a good dose of reality gets better results. You have to make sure you get the care you need and not what someone tells you is "normal" for you.

Customer:

I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks again, sir. Now I've got to go do some labor for my real boss: my spouse.

Chris C. :

I understand. You are very welcome! Thanks for your question!