Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD

I work for a small company that provides me health insurance.

I work for a small company that provides me health insurance. The cheapest package for a family with children is very expensive so I thought about looking elsewhere for a more affordable health insurance. However, it appears that at least I (employee) have to be under the company's health insurance. Are there ways to get affordable health insurances in NY that my spouse (unemployed) and children could separately get? Thank you.

Unfortunately children under 18 cant get their own coverage, One must go under the family plan. However I suggest you go to the new NYS health plan that covers obamacare. There is also a number on the bottom you can call .They will help you see which plan is cheapest under obamacare