Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have weird noises and sounds coming from my stomach like

I have weird noises and sounds coming from my stomach like I'm passing gas but I'm nothing is coming out

Hello Sue,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are your symptoms?
Do you have bloating, gas, belching, heartburn, nausea, constipation?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have constipation on and off, with quite large stools every 3 days or so. This has been going on for about 1-2 years but the sounds have come about in the last 2-3 weeks. I also feel tired a lot of the time.

Thanks Sue for the further information.

PeptoBismol may help you for your present symptoms, so you may try it. Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done) since this has been going for 2-3 weeks and constipation for quite long;

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; a low thyroid may cause constipation off and on.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve motions. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,

2) smoking,

3) drinking carbonated beverages, and

4) gulping food and liquids.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.