Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

When i smoke cigarettes sometimes i get the feeling like i

When i smoke cigarettes sometimes i get the feeling like i am going to throw up.To be specific,i feel like vomiting but i wont get anything out of my mouth(just a high,unusual amount of spit).All this ends up in less than 50 seconds.I would really appreciate if you would explain to me where would this come from and what is it about?
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long has this been going on for?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
How many cigarette do you take in a day and for how long?
Do you have coughing after smoking?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has been going on for 6 months.I am not suffering from any medical condition and i am not taking any medication.I would say i smoke about a pack in three days and i have been smoking for 2 years.(When this started i only smoked one pack in 5 days). I do not have coughing after smoking at all at any time,it never happened.Also when i smoke electric cigarettes i do not have that feeling at all.

Please provide some more information.
Do you have stuffy nose?
Phlegm at back of throat?
Constant throat irritation and clearing?
Chest tightness?
Heartburn?
Have you seen a doctor so far?
Stress and anxiety?

It's my first priority to serve you.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have a stuffy nose.I do not have phlegm at back of my throat.Also,my throat does not get irritated ( i did not want to say it never gets irritated because it happened only once, a couple of moths ago because i was sick,i had flu).When i was 4-7 year old my throat used to get irritated very often,soon as i got sick my throat would get irritated.
Also i never realized any chest tightness that would get my attention.I never experienced a heartburn in my life.I would say that i have been anxious lately but by the time this all started i was not stressed or anxious.Sometimes i can smoke for 3 weeks and dont get this feeling at all,but sometimes i get it in every single cigarette.I feel like i want to throw up,it never happens.I just get the feeling that one might get 1 second before he throws up.When this happens my mouth produces a high amount of spit and i need to take that spit out.Within 40-50 seconds at most i feel like nothing happened.

Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe,possible causes may include Laryngopharyngeal reflux,Cricopharyngeal spasms.
Even excessive use of Nicotine can cause excessive salivation resulting in gagging sensation and nausea.
A laryngoscopy should be done in your case.
And if possble limit your smoking consumption as it can aggravate your symptoms gradually over the time.
Do saline gargles.
And drink plenty of water.
Avoid spicy,fried food.
Take OTC Prilosec.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really appreciate your help and your answer but i would really be happy if you explained to me the reason why you came to this conclusion?What causes what?I do not really understand the terms here so i would really like a plain explanation on how this is all related.Also,can you tell me if this by any chance leads or might be the start of something else?

Thanks for the follow-up.
Larynopharyngeal reflux is a silent reflux and causing stomach acid backs up into the back of your throat resulting in nausea,throwing up sensation,gagging sensation.
It causes symptoms without any heartburn and nicotine can be a contributing factor.

Cricopharyngeal spasms-there is sudden, involuntary movement of the cricopharyngeal muscle, which causes a feeling of having a lump in throat resulting in nausea.

Excessive salivation can be another possible cause.

If your smoking intake'll not reduce then it can gradually aggravate your symptoms.
Even smoking can result in oral and throat,lung cancer after long term use.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As i told you i get this feeling only when i smoke,not when i eat,not when i drink.As much as i can understand i believe that what you are saying is that this is somehow related to stomach?Let me give you an extra information: When i smoke e-cigarettes which only contain nicotine i do not get this feeling at all which means that nicotine might not be the problem.When i realized that even if i smoke 2 hours straight of e-cigarettes (full and only with nicotine) i dont get this feeling and if i smoke only one normal cigarette i do get this feeling i thought that there must be something else.I thought that other chemicals that normal cigarettes contain might be the cause.What do you think?

Yes,it may be possible that the other ingredient in cigarette can trigger such symptoms.
However excessive salivation has been reported with Nicotine.As the electronic cigarette appear to generally deliver less nicotine than smoking.

Hope this helps.