Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

A rash with a hard crust developed on the lower and upper left

A rash with a hard crust developed on the lower and upper left leg plus on the top of my right leg. I have cortisone cream for it but when it dries up, the rash gets sort of wrinkled looking. What do you think is going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
Do you have itching,pain on rash?
Does it spread and increase in size?
Is area warm and tender to touch?
History of Diabetes,Hypertension?
Excessive sweating?
Peeling of skin around rash?
Duration of symptoms?

Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It started with a hot feeling on my leg. I can't tell if it's spreading but perhaps a little. No, it's not warm to the touch but rather just hard and rough. I have no history of diabetes or hypertension. No, there is no excessive sweating. The skin hasn't peeled around the rash. This all started started Tuesday evening.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for providing additional information.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
As per your description,possible differential diagnosis may include Contact dermatitis,Superficial Thrombophlebitis,Stasis dermatitis.
You should apply OTC hydrocortisone mixed with Bacitracin ointment on it.
And also take OTC Claritin and Advil for few days.
If your rash get worse over the time,spread to other body areas or it's warm and painful to touch then you shouldn't ignore it and get an urgent medical attention.
Continue to wear loose fitted clothes for a while.
And make an appointment with your doctor for a clinical examination.

Hope this helps.
Please press reply button if you have follow-up query.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since Stasis dermatitis results from insufficient blood in the leg, should I get back to my aerobics right away? I took a look at the picture and read the info and it resembles what I'm seeing.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
You should elevate your legs and you can do aerobic exercises.
Also do stretching exercises of your legs.
Avoid prolonged hours of sitting and standing in same position.
And make an appointment with your doctor as well.

If you develop swelling,warmth around the rash then visit ER.

Hope this helps.
Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do stretching exercises for my legs EVERY morning; and I had to stop aerobics last week because I had a post inserted in my gum (for a tooth implant) so I was supposed to rest so it would heal quickly.

I'm seeing a nurse at a large dermatology practice. I'm supposed to go back Monday. Do you think I should call her tomorrow and go in earlier? Weekends can get pretty LONG.

Is wrinkled skin at the site part of stasis dermatitis?

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
You should continue to do stretching exercises.
And you should elevate your legs.
You can try OTC hydrocortisone mixed with Bacitracin ointment on it.
And also take OTC Claritin and Advil.
And call your nurse or doctor if symptoms'll not show any improvement over the time.
Wrinkled skin can be caused due to atrophy(thinning) of skin due to dermatitis.If you develop swelling,warmth around the rash then visit ER.

Hope this helps.
Thanks dear.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM