Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have had chest/stomach pains for about 2 months. I have treated

I have had chest/stomach pains for about 2 months. I have treated high blood pressure. Just wondered if this is heart burn or if it is something more serious. Taking prilozac buring is gone but still have pain in top of stomach and chest. feels more like a pulled muscle but have done nothing that would have caused that. made worse with movement and towards the end of the day.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

An abdominal muscle strain can occur with activities of daily living like just squatting or bending which may be overlooked at the time of injury as it is a subtle force or minimum discomfort. A pain worsening on movements and on the end of day is more likely to be a muscle issue.

A burning resolving by Prilosec is likely due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) / acid reflux. GERD is treated by;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil.

The other possible causes are (termed as non cardiac chest pain);

a) Esophageal spasm

b) Esophageal motility disorder.

Having said that; a persistent chest pain would warrant an EKG and echocardiography to rule out concomitant heart issue for caution. An heart association should be categorically ruled out.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.