Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Upper left quadrant abdominal discomfort - originally thought

Upper left quadrant abdominal discomfort - originally thought it was splenic flexure, but I've noticed it when i'm not "gassy". It is NOT distended, just feels bloated. Sometimes into back. When I'm laying in certain positions, I'll press just below my rib cage on my left side, and I feel something "pop" back and forth on my ribs when I press down and let go. Weird. Not in enough pain to take tylenol or IBproufen, but I notice the discomfort. Abdominal xrays and ultrasound only showed gallstone, which I know is on the right side, not the left. Sometimes feels better with changing position or putting pillow under left side rib cage and laying on side. CBC and metabolic panels were normal. Could this be from giardasis infection?
Do you have associated heartburn,nausea?
Vomiting?
Bloating and flatulence?
Alcohol and smoking history?
Are you taking any medicines?
Any other medical illness?
Duration of symptoms?
Any over physical exertion?
Stress and anxiety issues?
Constipation and diarrhea?
Mucus in stool?
Pain in abdomen after eating meals?

Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been going on for a few weeks now, and I mainly noticed it with gas. However, I haven't been "gassy" at all today, and I've noticed it. The past week I've had a bout of diarrhea in the morning, accompanied by nausea and fatigue. Doctor sent out stool samples, but will put me on antibiotics for giardia by Friday if I'm not feeling better, considering we live on well water (treated) and I have an infant in the home, changing diapers.

It feels bloated on my left side upper abdomen. No gas today. No alcohol, never smoked, only medicine is levothyroxine for 4 years, no other medical illness besides hypothyroidism. No over physical exertion, besides holding my 20lb 10 month old on that side when I carry her. I do have anxiety, which has been pretty bad lately. No pain after eating meals.

Thanks for providing additional information.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
As per your description,you feel discomfort usually when you have flatulence and bloating so it suggests the possible differential diagnosis may include Irritable Bowel syndrome,Gastritis,Diverticulosis.
Giardiasis can be causative factor for your diarrhea and lingering such discomfort,bloating.
You should start probiotic containing good bacteria which help in maintaining your gastrointestinal flora.
Also take Metamucil and Mylanta.
Also avoid holding your baby on that side as it can be a contributing factor resulting in muscloskeletal pain.
You should apply topical analgesic ointment on affected area.
Also drink plenty of water.
If your symptoms'll not improve,Upper GI scopy and colonoscopy should be advised.
A clinical exam by a gastroenterologist may be considered.

Hope this helps.
Please press reply button if you have follow-up query.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thanks dear.