Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Elevated ALT liver enzyme

Elevated ALT liver enzyme

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Why did you have the test?

Do you take alcohol?

Are you overweight?

Do you take any medicine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had some anxiety and vomiting from being nervous she tested everything. It was the one test that was off. All other values were normal including ALT.

I drink a couple times a month. I have also binge drank a few times this year at bachelor parties.

I was taking several OTC meds, a couple of xanax for the anxiety but the total dose was only 1mg. I had taken in the month prior, mucinex, pepto, zantac, motrin. However stopped taking all medications and drinking after first elevated enzyme level. Yet the ALT increased by a few points. Dr said wasn't concerned with the increase though.

I have drastically changed my diet in the last month since finding out. But prior had eaten fast food and high fat diet several times a week, for two years. In those two years my weight went from 190 to 210-215 range. I am 6 feet 2 inches.

Dr believed was simply temporary elevation or from diet. however i am worried could be autoimmune. I am a diagnosis hypchondriac and do see a therapist for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also GI Dr asked me to return after losing weight and eating healthier and retest levels in three months. I am very nervous and three months seems long to me.

Thank you for the information,

ALT reference levels varies between labs.

For many of them they are 7 - 56 usually.

http://www.medicinenet.com/liver_blood_tests/page2.htm#what_are_normal_levels_of_ast_and_alt

Your level is not very high & usually not worrying.

As the ultrasound did not show fatty liver & the tests are negative for hepatitis & hemochromatosis, these are good signs.

However, you should avoid drinking.

Please avoid otc medicines too without consulting doctor.

They can be have adverse effect on liver.

Have regular exercise, fresh fruits, vegetables.

If you are overweight, try to reduce weight.

It may take a few weeks more to come to normal level.

So GI doctor has told to come after 3 months.

I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How concerned should I be for something more serious. Should I be concerned with the autoimmune stuff?

The Dr did not want to test for them said he didn't believe was cause.

I have begun to exercise by walking daily. Consume no fatty foods any longer, eat a lot of fruit and veg and have lost 10 lbs.

Would you suggest to wait two more months still.

Sorry just very concerned something more serious, despite my pcp and specialist not showing much concern. Just worried since they can not tell me exactly what is going on. Just that mild fatty liver does not show on ultrasound.

Hello Sean,

As the level is mildly elevated, you should not be concerned.

It is not suggestive of autoimmune disease.

Yes, repeat test can be done after 2 months as it is decided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question why is not suggestive of autoimmune?

Usually autoimmune disease have other symptoms like joint pain, enlarged liver, rash etc.

You do not have any such symptom.

Nausea & vomiting can occur from many causes.

Alcohol can cause gastritis, nausea, vomiting.