Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Should I ask my doctor for antibiotics? This is now day

Should I ask my doctor for antibiotics?

This is now day #7 with nausea, fatigue, diarrhea. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Went to the doctor yesterday and he said the stool culture came back negative, but we're still waiting on two more stool cultures - O & P and H. Pylori. I've been doing my research on giardia, and it sounds pretty much like what I have. I also believe I'm at a higher risk because I have an infant at home in diapers, and we're on well water. He was hesitant to prescribe me antibiotics yesterday because he said it could make my symptoms worse if there is no need for them. Should I call and ask to be put on them anyway to treat giardia? From what I've read, giardia might not even show up in a stool culture on the first time, and it might take up to three cultures to see giardia.
Hi--you're right about the difficulty in detecting Giardia. At this point I would put you on Flagyl and repeat the cultures. Flagyl can cause diarrhea in and of itself, but I would go ahead and give it to you as a preemptive treatment
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. If I am prescribed Flagyl, what am I to expect? How soon should my symptoms disappear? My doctor currently put me on zofran for the nausea, and told me to take a zantac before bed.

It could take at least two days for the Flagyl to kick in and you may not have any side effects from it at all.