Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Does sciatic neve pain in the back have any thing to do with

Does sciatic neve pain in the back have any thing to do with intestinal discomfort and constipation?????
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Do you suffer from sciatica? Has sciatica symptoms worsened with constipation, please explain about your condition in little more detail.

Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For my husband who said i.testinal problem wrose with siaticia. He saw doc who said you have sciatica related to ageing you two inches shorter in 5 years. Heart sable but on
pcemaker since 2003. Had disc problem 5 years ago uses inverter board to relieve pain in back. Sciatica new and had two weeks better lay flat. End of day a 9. In morning 5 and then stastandings hurts
Dear Customer, I am Sorry for delay in reply and inconvenience.
I am so sorry to hear of his discomfort.

Yes, it is true that nerve compression from sciatica nerve can lead to bowel, bladder problems. Yes, it can further lead to intestinal problems.
To treat, Sciatica, he can follow these measures-

1. He should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy , these will help him lot.

2. Application of ice packs on back for 15 minutes can be done 3-4 times a day.

3. Also Stretching exercises for low back can help him feel better and may help relieve nerve root compression.

4. His doctor can prescribe- certain anti-seizure and anti-depressant medications. It helps in blocking pain messages sent to the brain.

Having constipation, for 3 weeks or more is due to some underlying cause, and have to be checked by your doctor. Possible causes are-

-Problems with the colon and rectum like diverticulosis
-Colorectal stricture,
-Impaired electrolyte levels like serum potassium
-Low thyroid levels
-Irritable bowel syndrome

To make a diagnose he need to undergo these tests-

-Barium enema x ray
-Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy
-Blood tests
Doctor can advise him- Bulk-forming laxatives, Lubricants, Saline Enemas or Suppositories. Once cause is evaluated, accordingly line of treatment will be advised.

Please discuss, above options, with his doctor and get appropriate management.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.