Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My son is 9 years old has pain at the tip of his only

My son is 9 years old has pain at the tip of his penis only after he voids and can lasts hours. He is on flomax sulfa antibiotic and an anti spasmatic medication for his bladder nothing is working. This has been going on for seven weeks not. Please help. My has not been to school is almost in constant pain by the time he is pain free he has to urinate again. Thanks anything would help.
Hi--any other symptoms like joint pain, fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No fever no joint pain. He is on an acid free diet. Drinks 8 /10 glasses of water per day and urinates every 2 hours per doctor instructions. At times he can not even let cloths touch his penis. Could he have prostatitis?
OK Debbie--did the doctor consider something called post-streptococcal syndrome which is a kind of autoimmune disorder and would be checked for with labs like a sed rate, C reactive protein, strep antibodies, etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No they have not! Can you tell me a little more about this. I will suggest this to his urologist.
It basically follows a strep infection like strep throat or even just a strep skin infection and it may be that he had a sore throat and never mentioned it. Usually it also involves joint pain but not always. It can be successfully treated with antiinflammatories like ibuprofen and a course of oral prednisone. If the urologist isn't familiar with this I'd suggest he see a rheumatologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has had a cystoscopy testicle ultra sound abdominal ultra sound and abdomen x rays. I have been giving him Motrin for pain. He was on lortab but that did not really help so we took him off of that.
OK but none of those tests would make the proper diagnosis. Ask the urologist to consider putting him on the prednisone
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked up diagnosis on the Internet. Why does this syndrome lead to possible compulsive behavior, and or anxiety? Is it because there is pain and no real treatment so it is difficult for patients to deal with it. I noticed they treat with ani depression medications.
Celexa can be used but not for its antidepressive properties but for certain kinds of pain. Yes, chronic pain can cause depression, anxiety, and behavioral changes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will rate you for credit. Thank you again! Debbie
My pleasure Debbie but please let me know how he does