Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
15267045

what is the best medication to treat severe anxiety and panic

what is the best medication to treat severe anxiety and panic attacks. (paralyzing anxiety) My last cycle was 1 mg Xanax 4 x a day. Also taking Buspar 7.5 mg 2x day. Disabled from a extreme case of idiopathic gastroparesis that I have had for 10 years. I go to the hospital several times a year with critically low potassium and electrolytes being unbalanced Have 4 children and went through a terrible divorce 5 years ago sharing joint custody with my former husband who makes my life a living hell still after all this time.. I feel like a pressure cooker is about to explode in my chest most of the time.....don't sleep more than 2 or 3 hours a night. already go to counseling. been to the heart doctor and had stress test that came back fine so I know it is the extreme anxiety I feel. Terrified that I will get sick in public, cant be in crowds, when hospitalized I worry worry about my children, have money issues trying to survive on disability with only 200 a month in child support for the five of us. I don't even like to leave my house because I am terrified that I will get ill {vomiting} in public from the gastroparesis, crowds make me terrified. My heart doctor says my doctor needs to increase my Xanax. (4 mg. a day max as of now) (( Any suggestions
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer,I will help you with your query today.Severe anxiety and panic disorder needs to be treated with both drugs and counselling or psychotherapy,this may include Cognitive Behavioural THerapy(CBT),for best results.The drugs which are usually used for short term are benzodiazepines like Lorazepam/Clonazepam, Buspirone or Buspar is also useful for short durations.Long term therapy will involve the use of SSRI drugs like Paroxetine/Velafaxine,Duoloxetine among others.Tricyclic antidepressants and atypical antidepressants have also been used successfully.SSRIs also help in social phobias and agoraphobia(fear of crowds and open spaces).Psychotherapy in the form of CBT,biofeedback forms and other methods have been demonstrated to be most useful when used along with the medication like SSRIs and anxiolytic drugs.Help of family and friends may be sought ,regular exercise and long rambling walks have been found to be useful.Xanax avoided due to its addiction potential and development of tolerance over a period of time.Chronic use of narcotics needs to be avoided ,also regular use of alcohol and smoking needs to be stopped.Regular use of medication and counselling has gradually reduced anxiety and panic attacks,one may lead a normal life with help from a good psychiatrist.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice