Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I live in Japan (but I am a Canadian) and through most of my

I live in Japan (but I am a Canadian) and through most of my adult life I get quite strong headaches. I would like to know, what does medicine do in relieving my pain? Like what does Aspirin do or Ibuprofen do? Do they do the same things or is each different? (Ideally or in addition, if it is possible, could you tell me what the medicine by the name of Eve does (sorry I can`t read the package as it is all in Japanese. If you can`t answer, no worries.) Thank you so much for educating me.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Aspirin and ibuprofen act similarly to control the headache.

Dr. D.J. :

Both the medications inhibit the prostaglandin synthesis thereby preventing the headache.

Dr. D.J. :

Prostaglandins are produced due to the inflammation which cause the headache.

Dr. D.J. :

Eve tablet contains ibuprofen, caffeine and urea.

Dr. D.J. :

Caffeine is supposed to help with migraine type of headache which is caused by the pulsating dilatation of the blood vessels.

Dr. D.J. :

Caffeine is supposed to prevent blood vessel dilatation.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Dr. D.J. :

Please reply here if you have any further question.

Please do not rate till you have all your questions answered to your full satisfaction.

Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : Aspirin and ibuprofen act similarly to control the headache.
Dr. D.J. : Both the medications inhibit the prostaglandin synthesis thereby preventing the headache.
Dr. D.J. : Prostaglandins are produced due to the inflammation which cause the headache.
Dr. D.J. : Eve tablet contains ibuprofen, caffeine and urea.
Dr. D.J. : Caffeine is supposed to help with migraine type of headache which is caused by the pulsating dilatation of the blood vessels.
Dr. D.J. : Caffeine is supposed to prevent blood vessel dilatation.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes,
Dr. D.J. : Please reply here if you have any further question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you for your initial answer,

I would like you to expand on the meaning of what you wrote:

1. "Both the medications inhibit the prostaglandin synthesis thereby preventing the headache"

So the prostaglandin synthesis, is it common/ present in every headache? What is it? Is that what causes the pain of a headache?

2. "Prostaglandins are produced due to the inflammation which cause the headache." So inflammation causes prostaglandins? What causes the inflammation? And what is inflammed: vessels, tissue, brain matter, I have no idea. Thank you so much.

1. Prostaglandins are responsible for any pain symptom.
In case of headache, the blood vessels and the soft tissues around them start producing prostaglandins in response to the stress, or any other triggers. This results in headaches.
There are different types of headaches.
Most harmless headaches are caused by the prostaglandins, which are chemicals.
Sometimes headaches can be caused by the brain tumors, aneurysms.
These possibilities should be ruled out by a CT scan of the brain.