Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

What is the best test to know if I really have diabetes type

What is the best test to know if I really have diabetes type 2? My last checkout shows no sugar problems, but I feel some of the symptoms that diabetics feel...
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. What sort of tests you have got so far for checking diabetes? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the last one was more than a year ago but showed my sugar level in the normal range. It was a regular check, they take blood test and they check how is your cholesterol, sugar levels, etc. I can't remember the name of the test.

But some times I feel symptoms my mom has, she is diabetic, so I need to know what type of test I need to find out if I really have diabetes type 2. I am a little overweight, not too much, maybe 15 pounds.

Rene thanks a lot for your input. To check out that you have diabetes type 2 or not, you need to get a test called HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin A1c). This test will tell that how was your sugar control in last 3 months. Routine blood tests for sugar just tell the levels at the time of test but this HbA1c test will give you a better idea. If this comes out to be normal then you should see your doctor again for an evaluation. Preferably see an internal medicine specialist. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.