Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I just to lift weights and I think I have a growing hernia

I just to lift weights and I think I have a growing hernia in my abdominal area? What are the symptoms for this type or hernia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
Hi--can you tell me what's going on that makes you think you might have a hernia?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have read that type or hernia usually are located in the area I feel pain...And I used to lift weights, and this pain it's been on and off. At the beginning was very little and then it was gone, but know I feel pain and I feel a little bump in my lower abdomen. I feel that it has been growing slowly

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
OK Rene--where exactly is the bump and the pain located?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

On my right side. Is not the colon because I never had problems, so let's say it is below where the colon is located...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry but that's somewhat vague--are you saying it's in your groin?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes...my groin...I am sorry about my english...but yeah, is close to my groin..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
That's OK--how large is the lump and can you push it back into your abdomen easily?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

hmm... it hurts if I do that....I have to wear my pants loose, but some days it feels ok and I feel almost no pain....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
OK--it does sound like you have an inguinal hernia and the symptoms are pain there along with a lump that can come and go. Although hernias are usually not too serious, if there's pain when you push on it it may be a small hernia and it may be incarcerated, meaning that a small piece of your bowel is caught in the defect in the muscle. The best thing for you to do is to have a doctor take a look. If it is a small hernia, I would advise you to go ahead and have it surgically repaired before it caused real problems
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have no insurance....how much would cost this if I have to have surgery? I live in L.A.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
Hard to say but all told it would likely be at least $1,000. It may not be a hernia but since I can't examine you at least go to an urgent care and have a doctor look at it
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice