Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I had a total knee replacement 2 weeks ago today. I am doing

I had a total knee replacement 2 weeks ago today. I am doing well with a walker. Can you give me any hints or advice on transitioning from the walker to a cane and then to walking without either?
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

Good to hear that you are recovering well after total knee replacement procedure.
Usually, a physiotherapist teaches you exercises to help strengthen your knee.
According to studies, One should be able to stop using crutches or walking frame and resume normal leisure activities in 3-6 weeks after surgery. However, it may take up to three months for pain and swelling to settle down.

You may also use a continuous passive motion exercise machine that will slowly bend and straighten your knee while you’re in bed, to restore movement and reduce swelling.

You should discuss with your therapist, and ask for exercises-
Ankle Pumps, Quad Sets, Heel Slides, Straight Leg Raises, Long Arc Quads and Knee Slides.

Please check this link-

http://www.cpmc.org/learning/documents/rg-tkr-home.html

http://www.kneesociety.org/web/patienteducation_totalknee.html

It is very important to take your therapy seriously because the more diligent you are during this phase of recovery, the sooner you will regain mobility and return to your daily activities.

Usually by 12 weeks, you may go for low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, golfing, bicycling, and ballroom dancing.

It is a slow process, and may take up to 12 weeks, for low impact activities. Please discuss and have continuous touch with your therapist.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

excellent information. I have never had it all laid out this way before. Thanks for the approximate time lines and thank you for the websites. It looks like this all really be helpful. As you know, I have plenty of time to do my research.

Thanks again

Dear Customer,
Yes, you need to go through links as provided, and have a thorough reading of all stuff.
Please do, discuss such exercises with your therapist.
I wish for your quick recovery.

Take care.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you