Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am under the care of a Pshyiatrist for pain management related

I am under the care of a Pshyiatrist for pain management related to polio. I have been in his care for just under one year. The day of my last appointment both my wife and I saw that his demeanor was off, he stated in some what of an aggressive manor that he would continue to treat me on one condition. That being, that I needed to see a psychologist or psychiatrist if not he would discharge me in 6 weeks. Does he have the right to do this? I would like to continue in his care, I donot feel that I need the support that he is suggesting, especially since I am looking at surgery this week and a dental procedure at the end of this month. The above stated is way to much stress to endure.
Hi--did he not tell you why he was making the ultimatum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he did not.

Karen, do you have a pain management contract with him and do you know if he's made this demand of other pain patients?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have a contract with him, and I do not have info. on other patients. I can say that in the begining of this relationship my husband, Robert, had some stressors that we were working thorough and that we did discuss with this MD. I feel that the MD treated Robert in an accute setting and did a good job. Our stressors not only related to elderly family members, but we had great news about our youngest son who would be married in 6 months, and then a large and lenghtly dental procedure all came at the same time. We worked through the negative stressors and feel that we came out on top. At this point I dont feel that this demand is warranted and only makes any further relationship and pain control better. This MD was hired for pain management not psychological help. If he discharges Robert, Robert will be in serious physical trouble.

OK Karen. There certainly isn't any guideline that necessitates psychological intervention in pain management patients although I think it is a useful adjunct. In this case, he can on his own impose this requirement and discharge a patient in a month if it isn't fulfilled, but he has the obligation to find another doctor to manage that pain patient. It would be professional of him to at least explain his actions here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I would like to see happen is to continue in his practice for a while longer until either the relationship improves or we find another professional. I put this out to the MD and am waiting for an answer.

He should at the least sit down and explain his rationale for the demand. Perhaps if that happens you can convince him that the psychologist isn't necessary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If we are unable to come to a resolution, do I have any recourse for enduring this much stress?

For now all you can do is ask to talk to him. As I said, he has the obligation to find a suitable doctor to take over the pain management before he dismisses someone from his practice