Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

For the last few days, Ive been feeling bloated with water

For the last few days, I've been feeling bloated with water weight, feeling full, my vaginal area is swollen and red but is not itching or have any discharge, and have had some cramping on my right side. My menstrual cycle is irregular and the last period I've had is on the 12th of September of this year. I was supposed to have my period yesterday but it has not shown up yet. I did have sex with a condom at around 0230 on Sunday, October 6th, 2013 and was told it did not break or tear. I also did go see my doctor this last Thursday and was told to do a urine test for hCG and chlamydia but have not received my results yet. I'm scared and I don't know what to do. Someone please help me.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Are you worried about pregnancy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am worried about being pregnant yes. I can't not be pregnant right now because I'm going to college full time and I'm living with my parents until I get my degree.

Hello Holly,

I do not think you are pregnant. The reasons are;

1) Condom was used which has high protection rate.
2) Your symptoms do not suggest pregnancy. These symptoms also occur when period is due because of hormonal changes in the body. Anxiety can also cause these symptoms.
3) Period can delay because of many reasons, apart from pregnancy, especially when you mentioned that your periods are irregular. Just anxiety can delay the period.

So please do not worry.

Apart from pregnancy there are other causes of missed or delayed periods;

1) Ovarian hormone dysfunctions

2) Thyroid hormone abnormalities

3) Stress, anxiety, emotional disorders

4) Sudden weight loss or gain

5) Excessive physical activity

6) Hyperprolactinemia

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Dr. Arun. I really appreciate your reply to my question. Also, is there any signs or symptoms I should be aware of in case my period doesn't happen this month whether it's from being stressed or not?

You are very welcome, Holly.

I am quite sure your urine pregnancy test would be negative. If your period does not come for next seven days (and if this is unusual for your period cycles), you may get a thyroid function tests and serum prolactin, apart from blood HCG. The symptoms are never indicative of a concrete diagnosis, so we do not give much importance to them as all hormonal causes have overlapping symptoms. Relaxation here would be key. Stress can cause all the symptoms and further aggravate them.

It is privilege assisting you.