Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Terry,I just used an enema -- Fleet saline -- for the first

Terry, I just used an enema -- Fleet saline -- for the first time. It didn't work. That was after two suppositories this morning, which also didn't work. I've been taking the suppositories and a powder oral laxative for two weeks now under a doctor's direction. I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor on Monday. I had a BM several days ago after the suppository, but the bloating and constipation came back immediately. I have pain in my shoulder from the bloating. Suggestions? Thanks.

I don't see that an expert name Terry is available right now.

If the measures (laxatives and enemas) have not worked that your doctor has provided by Monday, a stronger type of laxative may be required, and if that does not work, manual disimpaction is the next step (a well-lubricated gloved finger is inserted to break up the impaction if the impacted stool is located in the outer rectal vault).
Have you tried any other measures? Such as eating a warm meal, drinking coffee or other warm beverage (coffee though is known to sometimes help with evacuation) and then sitting on the toilet? You do not want to strain, but after eating a warm meal or a warm beverage, the reflex to evacuate the bowels is often triggered. Aerobic exercise will often trigger a bowel movement as well. If you have not tried these things you may want to do so today. It is also important to make sure you are not dehydrated by drinking at least 8 ounces of water 8 times per day.

Are you having any other symptoms, such a chills or fever? How bad is the pain in the shoulder? For example, you could rate it for me form 0 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain you have ever experienced, and 0 being no pain. If your pain is severe, you are having chills, having rectal bleeding, are too uncomfortable to eat, sleep, or perform your regular daily activities, you may not be able to wait until you see your doctor on Monday.

Please write back with your pain level and whether or not you have any of the above symptoms and any other questions you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Susan Ivy:

The pain in my shoulder is 3-4. Its severity increases as the bloating increases. I don't have a fever, nor do I have the other symptoms you list.

Caffeine has not worked -- I drink a lot of it. And warm meals have no effect.

My doctor did not prescribe the enema. I got one after the suppositories failed.

Exercise is uncomfortable because I'm so bloated.

I drink a lot of water but I'm wondering if the Trazodone I take each night dehydrates me.

Do other options exist beyond manual disimpaction? And if not, how do I know I'm doing that correctly?

Hello. Thank you for rating me. I will respond back to you with detailed answers to the above questions a little bit later this evening. I must step away from the computer for up to 2 hours. I will get back to you tonight though. (but, I don't think you will want to try manual disimpaction yourself. There are othe options such as stronger laxatives that your doctor might prescribe, or enemas with stronger effects than a simple low volume fleets. I was not sure what else you had tried, but it appears that you have not tried several options that might yet work, again let me get back to you in more detail shortly)