Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, I have cough for 6 weeks now. I have feeling that something

Hi, I have cough for 6 weeks now. I have feeling that something is stuck in my throat and I can't cough it up. The mucus I couph is usually clear. I also have very bitter taste in my mouth . My family doctor said that the lungs are clear but I have to take Advair and Albuterol for the bronchospasms I get. I have been taking for a week now Claritin and it has helped me tremendously. The only problem is that as soon as I stop taking it the cough is back. I am very sensitive to medications and after reading the numerous side effects of Advair I am afraid that I will be extremely uneasy taking these medications. I get often anxiety attacks as it is:) My question is: Can't I continue taking the Claritin longer and postpone or not take the inhalators?

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

The answer to your question is this that yes you can continue claritin specially when it is helping you.

Dr. Hasan :

Claritin can be taken as long as 6 weeks but ultimately it's effect start reducing.

Dr. Hasan :

If claritin is helping your cough and feeling of something stuck in the throat then this means that there is some allergic element involved in your cough.

Dr. Hasan :

Most of the allergies start from the nose so you should ask your doctor for prescribing a steroid nasal spray.

Dr. Hasan :

It can be used for quite long and just have local effect with minimal to no systemic side effects.

Dr. Hasan :

I would also like to share a home remedy with you. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 15 days or more but will help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Please inform your doctor about any change in medications you are going to do.

Dr. Hasan :

I hope you will feel better soon.

Dr. Hasan :

please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

After you have typed your response please press reply

Customer:

Thank you for your help! Why do you think the cough is back once the Claritin effect wears off? How long should I use it to see more lasting effect?

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. I think that there is some allergic element in your cough and that is why claritin has helped you. It's not necessary that your cough will come back after you have stopped claritin or after its effects have wear off.

Dr. Hasan :

You can continue it for as long as 6 weeks.

Customer:

Thank you! Thanks also for the home remedy!! I am going to try it right now.