Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Every morning when I wake up my ears are full of liquid. It

Every morning when I wake up my ears are full of liquid. It dries and then flakes out. Any ideas?
Associated clogged ears?
Pain in ears?
Muffled hearing?
Fever?
Stuffy nose?
Is discharge having foul odor?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?
Sore throat?
Dizziness?
Since how long have you been suffering from?

It's my priority to serve you.
Waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ears aren't clogged, painful and can hear fine. No fever, stuffy nose or odor. I do have a history of hydrocephalus in my family. I take no medications and have a cholesterol reading of 238. My throat is fine, no dizziness. This has been going on for about 6 months. It first I thought I was just drooling during the night but have ruled that out.

Thanks for providing more information.

Fluid leak from an ear or ears is called otorrhea.
Typically, it is caused by infection or inflammation of the middle ear or external auditory canal - the place where earwax accumulates.
Ear discharge can be clear, white or yellow or even sometimes bloody depending on an underlying cause.

Your clear watery drainage may conceivably be caused by either of these conditions but clear watery - more viscous than water as you described - discharge is always suspicious for cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak.
While most often it is caused by trauma, it may be caused by masses or tumors, infection, or by a mass next to what is called "tegmen bone defect" which can get worse with age. The latter is the most common cause of spontaneous CSF leak in adults.

What I am trying to stress that even though your symptoms may be due to a relatively benign condition it is important to rule out more serious etiology (cause).
It has already been a few months and I would probably not wait much longer especially if the drainage keeps coming.
Your doctor should refer you to an ENT doctor to make sure the fluid leaking from your ear is not CSF.
You will likely need a CT scan to diagnose the problem.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.