Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am plagued by frequent laryngitis. Ill be talking in a regular

I am plagued by frequent laryngitis. I'll be talking in a regular voice, and all of a sudden BLAM! It's like my whole throat instantly fails. Cough, cough, cough, can't say a word, struggle for air. No matter how much water I drink to try to lubricate my throat, it's to no avail. Sometimes it avalanches to become an asthma attack on top of the lack of voice. It has happened four times just this week. It's incapacitating. It has been going on for about a year. I teach, so I NEED my voice. Besides, when I get these "attacks", my face turns red and my eyes water like crazy. It scares children and adults alike. Adults often ask if I need them to call 911. Do you have ideas or advice for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes--- for one consult an ENT specialist. You need to have vocal cords and their function checked!!
Anthony Bray, MD : you need ENT to check and rule out vocal cord polyps, partial paralysis or dysfunction of one side etc...
Anthony Bray, MD : The coughing and asthma aspects sounds to me that you are probably aspirating fluid into your trachea...
Anthony Bray, MD : so you may have an aspiration syndrome as part of this problem...
Anthony Bray, MD : This is sometimes caused by high reflux (fluid of stomach coming all the way to back of throat )
Anthony Bray, MD : Aspiration may also be caused by failure of the larynx to protect the airway when you swallow...
Anthony Bray, MD : this problem may be identified by a modified barium swallow...
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Aspirating fluid because of the attack? Or the aspirating fluud triggers the attack? Or merely a coincidence?
Hello again,

Aspirating fluid would cause the attack. This would cause excess coughing which would inflame your vocal cords.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have anything further! Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When it happens it all seems so instantaneous and without warning. Do you think I aspirate fluid as I talk, cough, and then the vocal chords fail... All suddenly and without any kind of ramp-up?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And does a barium swallow entail? Is it radio-active?
Hello!

Yes it is easy to aspirate a small amount of fluid into the trachea. This may cause the vocal cords to shut off the airway for a short but alarming time and ten vigorous coughing may ensue...

No the barium solution shows up on X-rays but it is not radioactive. It just is a contest agent which enhances seeing what happens when you swallow fluid...

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks very much!
You are very welcome! Feel welcome to contact me in future if you have other medical questions!!

You can just ask for "Dr. Bray" on the Justanswer site or go to my profile page at http://www.justanswer.com/ medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

If you go to that page you can just type question or comment in the box on that page and it will be directed my way!

Thanks and take care! I hope your voice improves and settles down for you! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. I don't know what's worse: when I am teaching little kids and I suddenly have an attack that scares them, or I am teaching adults at the prison and I scare the inmates AND the guard half to death. I worry that the guards will think the inmates have somehow hurt me, and interrogate my students harshly (or worse).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Follow-up question - could/would this aspirating saliva phenomenon also explain why I have "choking fits" during eating with frightening frequency? I'll be eating a meal, and all of a sudden I'll get the "I swallowed wrong" sensation, even if I haven't swallowed wrong. Then I'll cough & cough & cough & turn purple & have to leave the room & tears will stream down my face & I'll get asthma & people will be genuinely scared.

I suddenly realized today how similar the meal-choking is to the talking-laryngitis phenomenon.

Could I be aspirating saliva at meal times, too?

Thanks.

Hello!

Yes it sounds that you are aspirating with meals as well at times with just talking. It sounds that you may have a type of aspiration syndrome. The modified barium swallow will help to evaluate this..

A couple if tips that may help you some

---- don't drink from straws

---- tuck chin down when you swallow

----- don't eat or drink while laying down

I hope this helps. Good luck in getting improvement over this problem. Let me know if you have anything further! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again!