Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi in august of 2012 I started to get a cough and had some

Hi in august of 2012 I started to get a cough and had some bloods taken for other reasons
6 weeks later they called me and told me I tested positive for chlaymidia pneumoniae and they didn't give me any treatment (said they don't treat it) well to this day my cough is still here and I'm worried they should have treated me

I'm 28 otherwise very healthy women

Please advise
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 11 months ago.
Hi--is your cough dry or productive? Have you had a chest x-ray?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a dry cough sometimes produces phlegm but not often I had a chest X-ray at hospital 2 weeks ago due to abdominal pain but nothing seen

Sarah--just for clarification here--you've had this cough for over a year and you haven't had a doctor evaluate it in all that time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes I went last august to have it seen to and they said chest infection and gave me antibiotics but it's never propley cleared up then chlaymidia pnemouniae was positive in September but when I went to doctors they didn't want to treat it my cough has been on and off since then
Sorry to ask but you said 2012 above--did you mean 2013 and so you've had the cough for two months? What antibiotics were you given?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I was diagnosed with chlaymida pnemouniae in September 2012 after haveing this cough for 3 weeks prior to the diagnosis now I have had the cough on and off since then but they never treated me for chlaymidia pnemouniae

Haven't take anything for the pnemouniae have not been given anything been to doctors 3 times told then I was diagnosed with it but they still haven't treated me
Is that why I still have this cough
OK--do you have any problems with reflux or indigestion and have you had a pulmonary function--spirometry--test?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I get heartburn abit but not much

Ohhhhh no not copd????
No, not COPD but you may have asthma. Another possibility is silent gastric reflux--acid wells up at night into your throat and gets into your lungs causing a chemical bronchitis. You could try either Zantac or Pepcid AC daily for two weeks to see if that clears up the cough. My point here is chlamydia pneumoniae doesn't cause a long-term bronchitis like this--I don't think we're dealing with an infection
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice